Character Arc-What's That?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters Character Arc-What's That?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

I have come on behalf of my beloved characters, for though they can speak for themselves, they only talk to me. 😛
      I’ve heard a bit about character arcs here on KP, and I have an excellent question to which I’m guessing all of you will know. I ask you because I don’t. (I know. It’s crazy. The dragon doesn’t know. 😮 ) What is a character arc?
      I’ve recently begun creating a new story world, plot and characters: worldbuilding, in short. But I want my characters to be as deep as deep can be. Character arcs sounds like it would help with that, and I’m sure it would help even more if I knew what it was. So, what is it? And how do you plot one out, and how does it tie in to the main plot, and a million other questions. 😛

@mark-kamibaya
      @daeus @winter-rose @jess @kate-flournoy @ethryndal @sarah-h @northerner @overcomer @hope @warrioroftherealm @gretald @bluejay @leumeister @perfectfifths @ingridrd @his-instrument @Brandon-miller @aratrea @I-know-that-I’m-missing-a-lot-of-people-so-just-hop-in- 😛

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper

@jadamae @I-j-Anderson @aella @s-g-dewey @the-bean @aysia-serene @Christi-eaton @sierra-r
        (I tries to tag all the peoples) 😀

@anne-of-lothlorien

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
        @dragon-snapper

@rolena-hatfield @spradlin @writefury @Audrey-caylin @alia @anne-swiftblade @Hannah-c @corissa-maiden-of-praise @sleepwalkingMK
          Like I said, I try to tag all the peoples…and that’s a lot of peoples. 😛

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

Oh wow… what an enormous question, @Dragon-Snapper. 😛
            *screams* @ARATREA I NEED YOU!! HELP! 😛

Okay, okay. Settle down Kate. *clears throat*
            Let me explain.
            Uh… no. There is too much.
            Let me sum up. 😉
            A character arc is basically the change a character goes through over the course of a story. From one belief to another. In fact, this is where theme happens. To wayyyy oversimplify it, the message of your story can usually be traced to the beginning and end of the arc. If your character starts the story believing its okay to steal, then through pain in the plot resulting from that belief comes to realize that stealing is wrong, they just experienced a character arc. And the message of the story is, duh— stealing is wrong.

That is really just the extreme basics though. Whole books could be written and no one ever really cover all possible facets of this.

One thing you do need to realize is that there are different kinds of character arcs. Let’s see, I made a list of definitions… *goes and hunts through all her files*
            Aha! Here they are.

.Positive Change Arc #1:
            Begins with a Passive Lie. Straight line from Lie to Truth, pushed on by pain in the plot resulting from Lie-informed decisions. A reaction arc— character changes worldview as physical circumstances demand and illustrate wrong perspective. Ends in rejection of the Lie in favor of the Truth.

.Positive Change Arc #2 (Or Transformation/Redemption Arc)
            Begins with an Aggressive Lie caused by wrong reaction to an Ugly Truth. Aggressive Lie drives character to take action against said Ugly Truth, but because it is a Lie, actions are warped and do not provide solution. In search for the solution, the character must eventually confront his Lie and overcome it, where he emerges with a full understanding of the Truth.

.Negative Change Arc #1
            Begins with a Passive Truth; straight line from Truth to Lie, pushed on by pain in the plot and the character’s inability to deal with Ugly Truths. A reaction arc— character changes worldview as perception of physical circumstances demands, and ultimately falls because of inability to handle Ugly Truth, and/or temptation of Beautiful Lies.

.Negative Change Arc #2 (Or Corruption Arc)
            Begins with Aggressive Truth caused by unchallenged right understanding of the nature of Truth, pushed on by pain/failure in the plot to question Truth, and ultimately rejects it because of inability to handle/explain Ugly Truth, and/or resist temptation of Beautiful Lies.

I know some of the terminology may be a bit far advanced for someone who’s new to this, and I am still learning myself, but please, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Pretty much what Kate said. Basically, every character has some sort of character. Generally though, that changes over the course of the story. Every character’s change is different, but the idea is that they can all be classified into different archetypes. Each of these archetypes is what we call a character arc and studying these archetypes helps us understand and plan our specific character’s development better. It’s a lot like MBTI actually. You are more than just your personality type, but knowing that basic archetype still helps you understand yourself a lot better. We’ll be covering character arcs in the theme course, btw.

P.S. I’m trying to convince Kate to name her positive arc #2 the “redemption arc” as opposed to “transformation arc,” so if all of you reading this post would be so nice as to vote for my terminology, it would help to provide a brighter future for your grandchildren.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy

@Daeus I went with both! Didn’t you see??? :’D

Daeus
                @daeus

@kate-flournoy That makes it worse. Rev 3:16 “So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.”

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1486

@dragon-snapper
                    About structuring positive arcs….
                    In the first half your story your character is trying to make the lie he believes work; he’s trying to live with it or ignore it. He might slowly feel that something isn’t right, but he isn’t fighting his lie yet. Then after the turning point in the middle of your story, your character knows something has to change. He realizes what he’s been doing isn’t working and he begins to fight and confront the lie. He takes action. Then at the 3rd plot point before the climax, your character has to make a final choice. Is he going to overcome the lie once and for all and save the day, or will he believe the lie and fail?

There are also flat arcs, where your character already knows the truth and clings to it throughout the story. They experience massive opposition and almost give up on the truth, but in the end they hold on to it. Judy Hops from Zootopia had a flat arc. Anna from Frozen also has a flat arc.

@daeus
                    @kate-flournoy anything you guys would like to add to that?

Kate Flournoy
                    @kate-flournoy

@Daeus *chokes* Hilarious. *tries not to split her side laughing* Perhaps once I do a deeper study of that I shall figure out what the disparity is between the two and get it taken care of.
                      For now, you guys can call it whatever you want.

Kate Flournoy
                      @kate-flournoy

@Winter-Rose nope, looks good. I would make the distinction that for a flat arc, the arc is actually the plot/surroundings changing to fit the truth of the character, not the other way around as it is with the other arcs.

Daeus
                        @daeus

Yep, there’s also the disillusionment arc. I think that covers all the arcs.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                          @kate-flournoy

Yes. I haven’t written up a formula for that one yet.

Anonymous
                              • Total Posts: 1486

@kate-Flournoy Hope you don’t mind, but I just copied your formulas and pasted them in my writing notes to study. So thanks for that. 🙂

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy

@Winter-Rose ha! Not at all. My pleasure. 😀

Josiah DeGraaf
                                @aratrea
                                  • Total Posts: 717

Great question @dragon-snapper! Looks like you’ve already got a bounty of information on this, but I’ll just throw in there that if you want to read more about this topic, my best recommendation would be to read up on what K.M. Weiland has written about the topic. You can read her original 21-part series here, or read her expanded book on it here.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >