Can anyone help me?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Can anyone help me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 1330

Hey guys! I am in need of some help. You see, a while ago, I started writing a short story about a lighthouse. But now I realize that the plot is sooo lame. Maybe at the least the most boring thing ever. I am not sure if I should just drop the project, start over, or just keep working. Thoughts?

@salome01w4g
      @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @daeus @dragon-snapper @seekjustice @daughteroftheking @graciegirl @that_writer_girl_99 @catwing and anyone else who has thoughts.

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

Haha, I’ve done this before. Sometimes all you need is a goal. What’s your story trying to say? What message are you trying to get across to your readers? Writing with those questions in mind can add a lot of depth to your story.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anonymous

@that_writer_girl_99 Hmm…that makes sense. I have trouble with that. This particular story I really just had an idea in my head. I was going to make it a story where a boy got led to Jesus, but I am not very good at things like that. I am also NOT good at outlining. That to me is the worst part of the job.

Hannah
          @salome01w4g
            • Total Posts: 991

@emily what is the plot? I find If I just write that it will change some during editing. (I feel like that is a lame tip, so once I know the plot I’ll have more ideas 🙂 )

~I don’t know what I’m doing~

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99

HA! *grins*

I despise outlining. Writing to me is about freedom, and outlining…well, outlining and I just don’t get along. But I’ve come to terms with that and it’s okay.

Here’s what I’d do. Take out a piece of notebook paper. Grab a pen. And write the story down. All of it, every detail. Even if you know for a fact that a detail is minute or irrelevant, write it down. When it’s done, look at what you have. Take the main details and focus on those. That’ll be the story’s main plot. And so what if the plot seems lame? Focus on adding a finished story to your portfolio. Focus on the message, the light that you want to share, and the story will come.

And..pray about it. That might not seem like a big deal. But God will guide your mind and your hands. I’ve seen him do it before. Prayer is a powerful thing and God will always help you use your talents for his glory.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Elizabeth.

Anonymous

@salome01w4g Well basically there is this guy who seems really mean (the keeper of the lighthouse) and his nephew lives with him. The guy really actually loves his nephew but has difficulty showing it. His sister, the boy’s mom, died when the boy was about six. The lighthouse keeper had told his sister that he would take care of the boy when she died, so he tries to fulfill his promise. The boy feels like his uncle is super mean and runs away to the mainland sometimes until late just to get away…you can probably see where the story goes from there.

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99

How does it end? @emily

Anonymous

@that_writer_girl_99 Thank you SOOOO much Elizabeth. I will try all of that.

Anonymous

@that_writer_girl_99 It ends when the boy and his uncle are reconciled to each other and I was thinking that it could happen on the lighthouse keeper’s deathbed and after that the guy could either pass away tragically or recover triumphantly. That is another point I would like suggestions on. @salome01w4g

Hannah
                      @salome01w4g

@emily
                        oooh I’m intrigued, I would keep righting. It sounds like you have the start to a great story! Have you ever taken Jumpstart your novel course (@daeus teaches it http://kingdompenacademy.teachable.com/p/jumpstart-your-novel ) I’m going threw it right now and though it’s a bit difficult it is really helping how I think about my story and what I write and how I proceed, because I have thought about scraping my story but I’m just going to keep writing. I hope this helps some, I really think you have a great plot, it’s something I would love to read! (Also something that @seekjustice told me last night when I asked for some help was, ” pray about it! ” , “Remember that you’re writing for God! ask him for help and tell him everything about this story.”

Hannah
                        @salome01w4g

@emily well I’m cruel when I right so I would have him die. *wickedly grins and remembers the t-shirt in the shop that says: “Don’t talk to me I just killed one of my characters* 😀

Anonymous

Thanks @salome01w4g. No, I have never taken that course. Thanks for the suggestion…I will definitely look into that. I am glad that you are interested. Thanks for the advice.

Anonymous

Ha! @salome01w4g I might just do that. I am pretty sure that that would be @josiahdeboer’s take on it too. Did you read what some of his stories have been about?

Anonymous

Oh, @salome01w4g I love that t-shirt ;D

Anonymous

@salome01w4g I researched that. It seems like a REALLY good curriculum. I wish it was cheaper, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >