Call for beta readers

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Novel Critique Requests Call for beta readers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Northerner
    @northerner
      • Total Posts: 244

I have a novel I just started sending out to beta readers, and I got six of them, which is a handy number. But all of them are busy, and the pace of a chapter a week is too much for them (and, I confess, I fear it will become so for me too, as we get to the second half of the semester). We’re only three chapters in, so if anyone wants to jump in now, it shouldn’t be too hard to keep up.

Novel information may be found here: https://ofdreamsandswords.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/call-for-beta-readers/.

Mainly I’m looking for a few people who will have time to critique a chapter a week. I’m not looking for editing things, but the bigger things like character and plot — and whether the sensory images make sense and whether there’s enough of them, because this is historical fiction, and the setting is an important part of that.

Northerner
      @northerner

@daeus (Hope recommended you), @ethryndal, @writefury, @kate-flournoy, @emma-flournoy, @dragon-snapper, and anyone else who’s interested

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Northerner I would love to, especially as this is one of my absolute favorite time-periods, but I’m afraid my schedule will not allow for any consistent sort of time-table, at least not currently. Keep me on your list of for the future though— I really want to read this.

Emma Flournoy
          @emma-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 1352

@Northerner Approximately how long is it? Better tell me in page, not word, number—I’ll understand that better. 😉

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@northerner Ah, I wish I could. Keep me in mind for the future since I always love beta reading, but at the moment I’m afraid I can’t add any more to my plate. 🙁

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Northerner
              @northerner

@kate-flournoy, I certainly will. Maybe if your sister reads it, you’ll get a glimpse over her shoulder now and then.

@emma-flournoy
                , it’s 110 pages in the document, but each page has about 750 words on it because I use a small font.

@daeus
                , it may well need a second round of betaing, and in that case I’ll ask you again.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

That’s probably about 200 normal book pages, I think.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy

@Northerner That doesn’t sound too long…I’m thinking about it, but lemme make sure I understand the schedule better. So, you’d send the document, and then you’d like one chapter a week at least…so I’d make note in the document on anything I notice (in your post here it says not everything, but on your blog it said anything…which is best?), and then get it back to you once I finish? At the rate of one chapter a week?

Northerner
                    @northerner

@emma-flournoy, I have it in a Google Document (because I don’t have Word on my computer, more’s the pity), to which I add a chapter a week. The document is shared with readers so they can comment on things. I send out e-mails letting people know once I add a new chapter.
                      Anything, everything. . . anything to do with plot, theme, characterization, consistency, preachiness, that kind of thing. But not everything in the sense that I’m not worried about spelling and grammar at this point. Does this make sense?

Emma Flournoy
                      @emma-flournoy

@Northerner Yep, than makes sense. So, even if I notice spelling/grammar errors, should I not point them out?
                        I think I can manage this. I’m not familiar with working on Google Docs, so I may need some help learning the ropes, but it shouldn’t be too difficult.
                        Now you need my e-mail address, right? (Mom’s, ’cause I don’t have one. 😉 )

Btw @Daeus thanks for the clarification about regular book pages. That’s really helpful. I should learn now to measure length by words. 😛

Northerner
                        @northerner

@Daeus, yes, when I got a 5.5×6-inch printed copy, it was a little over 200 pages. But that’s not the size that the Google Doc version is.

@Emma-flournoy
                          , I hope you won’t be finding that kind of mistake, though it’s certainly possible. You can point them out, I guess, but don’t make them your focus. Yes, I will need your e-mail. I’ll send you a test one right away to make sure you get it and it doesn’t go to spam.

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@Northerner Okay…I’m not s’posed to post the link in a public place, so what should I do? Wait, I can probably e-mail Sarah (Community Happiness Director) and ask her to give you the address. I’ll go do that.

Emma Flournoy
                            @emma-flournoy

@Northerner I e-mailed, but I’ve gotten no return from Sarah or you as of yet…wondering if the transaction has taken place?

@Spradlin
                              I need you!! 🙂

Northerner
                              @northerner

@Emma-flournoy, I haven’t even got anything in my spam.

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

@Northerner Whoa you got back quickly. 😛 I guess I’ll just wait until Sarah is available. (Don’t you love how much we depend on you @Spradlin?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >