Breathing hope… the puns are going to be too much fun

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Publishing & Platform Breathing hope… the puns are going to be too much fun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

So, I’ve been working on a tagline for my site, Writing in the Light. Well, it’s a tagline for me, really. Something I can put everywhere – on my blog, on my social media. Basically, something that sums up me and my writing very well. I came up with a line earlier that I really like:

Breathing hope into the blackest night.

It sums up what I want to do with my writing and with my life in general. Besides, let’s face it, the pun possibilities are endless. My main concern, right now, is that my publishing name and the tagline might not quite click because of the rhythm of light and night.

Writing in the Light: breathing hope into the blackest night.

Since everyone is brutally honest here, and since, on occasion, you even all agree, I decided to see what you thought, both about the sound of the lines together and just about the tagline in general. Like it? Hate it? No opinion at all?

@Northerner
      , @dragon-snapper, @daeus, @Aratrea, @winter-rose, @Jane-maree, @catwing, @emma-flournoy, @jess, @Kina-Lamb

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 96

@hope – I think it works. Especially since it’s a tagline, the rhythm doesn’t have to be perfect.

When I said it aloud it sounded perfectly fine, but if you are worried about the syllable count, you can shorten the tagline slightly by changing into to in. I’m not sure if you want to do that since it alters the meaning a bit, but it’s a thought.

Jess
        @jess
          • Total Posts: 575

@hope I like it. The two lines together sound fine together. But the word “breathing” is a little weird to me… I’m not really sure what’s wrong with it, it just doesn’t sound right?

I like the tagline as opposed to no tagline. I think it fits well.

NC Stokes
          @daughteroftheking
            • Total Posts: 1156

@hope Brutally honest… that’s us Kapeefers. XD I think your tagline is a good one. I don’t know if this means anything, but in my head I’m reading it as “darkest night.” I like “blackest night” better, but I read it, and remembered it as “darkest.” Probably isn’t important. Forgive my rambling.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Catwing
            @catwing
              • Total Posts: 2557

@hope I like it. Only thing I see that you could do is say Writing in the Light: breathing hope into the blackest of nights. Added ‘of’ Maybe???
              {You tagged me! *flies a happy circle around your head* Thank You}

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Hope Ann
              @hope

@daughteroftheking Same here. My first thought was ‘darkest’ but then I switched to ‘blackest’ because I thought it sounded better.

@catwing
                Breathing hope into the blackest of nights. I like that.

@jess
                Hmmm… I like breathing. Penning could maybe work too. Penning hope in the blackest of nights. Eh… not sure. Thoughts?

The main thing is that my family members are looking at me and thinking it sounds too dramatic. XD Though a number of taglines are dramatic, so I don’t mind. But I also have a tendency to think something is cool when it is actually more like… cheesy. XD What do you think, then? Too dramatic, or not?

Catwing
                @catwing
                  • Total Posts: 2557

@hope Instead of ‘Breathing’ ideas…
                  Drawing
                  Shining
                  Writing (meh.)
                  Quipping (???)
                  Bringing
                  Coloring 🤔
                  Shouting
                  Living

Maybe? Hope this helps!😉

IMMA KAPEEFER! Til we're old and gray!

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 859

I personally don’t think it is too dramatic @hope. I like the word breathing in there a lot. What @catwing said about adding “of” makes it flow a lot better in my opinion.

Anonymous
                      • Total Posts: 1330

I love it @hope! I like your “penning” idea. It is more explicit. I don’t think that it is cheesy or too dramatic. I know you didn’t tag me, but @josiahdeboer replied…

Jane Maree
                      @jane-maree
                        • Total Posts: 909

@Hope Ohh yes I do like this idea. Plus the pun just made me laugh, so PERFECT. XD

If you wanted something just a slight bit less dramatic, you could have ‘bringing hope into the blackest night’ just because the word ‘bringing’ is a bit more…ordinary? But in the context it works perfectly well and still does have that ring to it.
                        Another thought was that it’s kind of a bit long? So ‘bringing’ would shorten the ‘breathing’ and you could change the ‘into’ to just a ‘to’ maybe. That way it would grammatically still work, but it might be just that little bit less of a mouthful.
                        But eh, that’s just my thoughts.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Hope Ann
                        @hope

@emily By all means. I want to hear your thoughts whether I tag you or not. We just have a tagging limit of 10 and I’m not on here enough to know everyone’s names… 😉

@jane-maree
                          Yes, the to will work, if I have the ‘of nights’ instead of just ‘night’.

So… bringing hope to the blackest of nights

Or

Penning hope in the blackest of nights

@catwing
                          Ha. Ha. Ha. *scowls* Like I’ve not heard that and every other pun related to hope before. *coughs* Sorry. We like to indulge in a bit of dry sarcasm every now and then. Yep, we have fun with our name. XD Plus I love the meaning. *nods* It tends to be a theme in most of my stories to some extent. XD

@Shannon I still like ‘breathing’ too. Breathing hope into the blackest of nights.

So, that’s the three so far. Preferences, guys? They all have slightly different meanings, though they all do work.

1. Bringing hope to the blackest of nights
                          2. Penning hope in the blackest of nights
                          3. Breathing hope into the blackest of nights

NC Stokes
                          @daughteroftheking
                            • Total Posts: 1156

@hope Hm hm hm… *strokes chin thoughtfully* It’s a tie between 2 and 3. I’m more inclined towards 2, becouse I love how “Writing in the Light: Penning hope into the blackest of nights” sounds.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Snapper
                            @dragon-snapper
                              • Total Posts: 3515

@hope
                              I’m actually more inclined toward the first one because the second two sound really, really dramatic…like something Galadriel would whisper at the beginning of Lord of the Rings…

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                              @northerner
                                • Total Posts: 244

@Hope, I like the first one best.

Anonymous
                                  • Total Posts: 1330

@hope I agree with @daughteroftheking. I am liking number three best.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >