Brainstorming Zone

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Brainstorming Zone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

There’s nothing here yet, but I wanted to create a place where I can drop off extra scenes from my WIP, Prison, as a way of experimenting with characters, bouncing around scene ideas as related to Prison, and anything else I that I think of but don’t want to bother anyone on another forum with.

As I begin posting things, anyone is welcome to drop a comment, offer an idea, or give their opinion on Prison (I’ll post the link to my google doc for it here).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Fp5D7pKF1SwuVVegM6Ke2kz8PuxVSj0qQb8LpaL2UU/edit

This is, ultimately, a way to help me elude the writer’s block that has been plaguing me for some time now. In the past few days, I’ve begun to break down the block, and in doing so I have discovered that, no matter how dear Prison is to my heart, I sometimes need to separate myself from the main story and just…write. While this might be a regular occurrence for some of you, it’s rather new to me, and I’m excited to see what happens.

I’ll tag some people just because they’re been influential in what I have of Prison so far.

@kate-flournoy
      @winter-rose @graciegirl @daeus @ethryndal @cloudy

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@That_Writer_Girl_99 I’m not ignoring you, I promise. 😛 Life got really busy. I’m helping my little brother sell some of his hand made walking sticks at a festival and also selling some jewelry I made, and making more, on top of every-day busy-ness with everything else our family does. Things should slow down by next week though.

Just fyi. 😉

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99

You mean…in regards to this forum? Or something else? Cause I’ve been trying not to ask after you constantly. Don’t want to be annoying.

@kate-flournoy

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 in general. I know I sort of left you hanging in the middle of a brainstorming session, and we were going to do that character exercise thing too, and I still want to do that. I just wanted to let you know I hadn’t disappeared off the face of the earth. ;P

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99

Ah! I’d actually forgotten about that… It’s totally fine! @kate-flournoy

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

Hallways—(written to force myself to be creative with the hallway/walking scenes)

(Also: I know this isn’t all grammatically correct. It isn’t supposed to be.)

Hallways, five of them, wind around in strange, dizzying circle, all white sheen and pale radiance. Losing herself among them is easy, and Kara finds it hard to keep her way.

But when months go by and she walks the same halls, day after day, she begins to notice things.

Her hallway is the first, and her cell is in the middle. It is quiet, and the silence drives her crazy because it hurts, squeezes her ears and rattles her skull, all consuming.

The second hallway is full of noise, always, and when she walks in the sounds make her heart jump; there like a scream in the dead of night, a howl in a silent wind, the clamor crashes against her eardrums, sending her wobbling all the way down the hall.

There’s an eeriness to these halls. Like the scariest thing is in the silence itself—a ghostly presence, filling the corridor with uneasiness.

In the third hall someone shouts at her and it makes her heart hurt; their voice full off too much pain and rage for someone with such snow-white hair. She cringes, because someone so old shouldn’t have to live this kind of live—because what kind of place is this, to put a woman with creaking joints and such a wounded spirit in a cell?

The fourth hall is silent, but at least the people here move. They fidget with their thumbs, twiddling fingers over fingers, mumbling as they tap their feet against the floor.

Kara hates this hall. It’s where she always trips over the rut in the floor.

She gags in the fifth all, because it always smells like vinegar and beans and old spices. Sounds—shrieks and squeals and cries of horror and indignation—fill the air, way too loud. She practically drags herself into the cafeteria, joins the noise and shouts like the rest of them.

On the way back, she trips over her own feet but catches herself. A loud guffaw pierces the quiet in the fourth hall.

In the first hall, she scuffs her shoe against the floor.

She slides back into her cell and lays down on her bed. It is two o clock.

She will spend the rest of the day reading, and fall asleep at the same time she does every night.

Tomorrow, she will do it all again.

Imma tag some people just cause @dragon-snapper @winter-rose @graciegirl @daeus

And of course: @kate-flournoy

If y’all happen to see this, drop a comment! I love hearing what you guys think.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Elizabeth.

Kate Flournoy
                @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 ooooh, I love it! Very nice. It could almost be a poem if you rearranged it. 😀

One thing— plot hole alert. If the Warden created the gene, how old is he for there to be really, really old people in the prison? Or were they not inheritors of the gene, but the first experiments?

Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99

They were first experiments @kate-flournoy but remember, Kara doesn’t know that. To her, the woman is just another prisoner, stuck in the same life as her.

Gracie
                    @graciegirl
                      • Total Posts: 889

@That_Writer_Girl_99 I like it! Now I really want to do something similar with a place in one of my stories…

*is probably geeking out about something*

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99

*grins* I’m glad you liked it! @graciegirl

Kate Flournoy
                        @kate-flournoy
                          Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

Nope, I’m actually glad you mentioned it. Hadn’t thought about it. @kate-flournoy

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 okay, I’m done ignoring you. XD I should be on around twelve-ish or twelve thirty until two… would that work for you?

Elizabeth
                              @that_writer_girl_99

Sorry @kate-flournoy I had work this morning, so I didn’t see this until just now…

I’m almost done with chapter five, so if you’re on later I can post it to the doc and you can see what you think?

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

@That_Writer_Girl_99 not a problem. 🙂 Yes, do. I can’t promise I’ll get to it today, but it’ll be good to have it when I have a free moment again. 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >