Book Suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    katie
    @lifeofkatie
      • Total Posts: 137

Hello!

I need some book suggestions for summer reading. I have quite a few non-fiction books that I am currently reading, but I’m looking for some good fiction (I do like historical fiction or true stories). Here are a few books that I’ve really enjoyed:

– Hand on the Bridle
      – A Lost Pearle
      – Prisoners of the Sea
      – Edwin Brook: Dire Recompense
      – The Green Ember
      – Ember Falls
      – Trapped in Hitler’s Hell
      – etc.

Thanks, y’all!! 😀

@daeus
      @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @graciegirl @dragon-snapper @ethryndal @mariposa

Anne of Lothlorien
      @anne-of-lothlorien
        • Total Posts: 440

Here are some I give to you…

At the Back of the North Wind – I loved this book, and if you can keep up with
        the child’s understanding of metaphysics and
        spiritual matters, it’s wonderful.
        Number the Stars – This is a historical fiction, if that’s okay?
        Maybe geared toward a bit younger audience,
        but I still liked it.
        The White Gypsy – My favorite book in the Lamplighter’s collection.
        Just read it. I love it.
        The Wingfeather Saga – A lot of people on here know and love the
        Wingfeather Saga. It will break your heart,
        then piece it back together in the same chapter.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Mariposa Aristeo
        @mariposa
          • Total Posts: 335

Hmm, I’m kind of like you in that I read a lot of nonfiction. I have loads of suggestions for nonfiction books, but as for fiction, well, *scratches head* I really don’t know… I’m kind of picky when it comes to fiction. I always kind of liked An Old Fashioned Girl and Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott.

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@lifeofkatie
            Umm….
            The Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan is a medieval fantasy. (not sure if you’ve read that)
            In Search of Honor by Donnalynn Hess is about the French Revolution
            Ummm…
            Johnny Tremain by Elizabeth Forbes
            I’m sure if you asked @daeus he’d have you read the Count of Monte Crisco.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anne of Lothlorien
            @anne-of-lothlorien
              • Total Posts: 440

Yeah, he would. I’m actually reading that soon myself. I think. Currently I am working on a book about five hundred pages long, called Ishamel. If you like stories without a lot of action, just stories about life, you’ll like this. Then there’s the sequal, Self Raised, which is probably four hundred pages long. So my slate is filled for another week.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@lifeofkatie

Ok, my top recommendations are these:

The Count of Monte Cristo — my all time favorite novel. It’s huge, but well worth every page. It’s historical fiction and high drama.

Cry The Beloved Country — The best explicitly Christian novel I’ve ever read. It’s very deep and very moving. It’s got heart for sure.

A Tale of Two Cities — Charles Dicken’s great masterpiece. The whole thing’s amazing, but the ending especially. Historical fiction of the French Revolution era.

Ben-Hur — Biblical fiction. It was the best-selling novel of the nineteenth century, so hey! It’s important. Also one of my favorite classics.

Those are my favorites (plus Dreamlander), but here are some other ones that come very close:

Les Miserables — another huge book. This is on post-Napoleonic France. It’s also on life in general. It’s slow at some points because the author loves going down rabbit trails, but over all it is a very engaging story and quite a deep one. It wasn’t written by a Christian, but it’s the type of story a Christian can really gain a lot from. The characters are excellent.

Anything by Chesterton. I haven’t read all his books, but everything I’ve read by him is consistently top notch. His books aren’t quite in my all time top top top favorites, but if pressed, I think I would say that he is my favorite author because of his reliable awesomeness.

Crime and Punishment — Russian historical fiction about Russian society and one particular person’s struggle to carve his own identity. It’s one of the most psychologically deep stories I’ve ever read.

That ought to be enough for now. If you need any more recommendations, I have them. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  • Total Posts: 3515

Aha! I was right! He did recommend the Count of Monte Crisco!

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

katie
                  @lifeofkatie

Wow! Thank you to everyone for all of the wonderful book suggestions!

@anne-of-lothlorien
                    – My brother loves the Wingfeather Saga, but I haven’t actually broken down to read them yet! But everyone I’ve talked to love them! And I have listened to the White Gypsy dramatic audio before, but never read the book. We have Ishmael and Self-Raised, but I’ve never read them…maybe I should 😉 Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions!

@mariposa
                    – I’d love to hear non-fiction suggestions too 😉 I just will probably put them on my list to read in the future 😀 Thank you for the other book suggestions too!

@dragon-snapper
                    ..Thanks so much for your suggestions! 😀 I have heard about the Count of Monte Cristo from @daeus, so I’m not surprised it was on the top of his list 😉

@daeus
                    – Thank you so much for all of the suggestions and summaries for each of the books! I know you’ve told me about Cry the Beloved Country and The Count of Monte Cristo…I will have to get my hands on those 😉 And I’ll be sure to let you know if I need any more suggestions 😉

Mariposa Aristeo
                    @mariposa

@lifeofkatie Here are some of my favorite nonfiction books:

Hard to Believe, Ashamed of the Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World, Twelve Ordinary Men, Twelve Extraordinary Women, Twelve Unlikely Heroes, The Pillars of Christian Character, Why Believe the Bible, Anxious for Nothing, Saved Without a Doubt, A Simple Christianity, Alone with God, Slave, A Tale of Two Sons, The Gospel According to Jesus, The Gospel According to the Apostles, The Battle for the Beginning, and The Only Way to Happiness (all of these are by John MacAthur). You already know my Spurgeon recommendations. 😊 I also recommended John MacArhtur: Servant of the Word and Flock by Iain H. Murray. And here’s a random suggestion: Dinosaurs: Marvels of God’s Creation by Dr. Time Clarey. It’s the most informative book on dinosaurs I have ever read (and it’s from a creationist perspective too). Plus, it was published in 2015, so it’s up to date on the latest fossil discoveries.

NC Stokes
                      @daughteroftheking
                        • Total Posts: 1156

Lookout everyone! The torrent of book recommendations are coming!!!!!
                        -The Dragon Keeper Chronicles. Great Christian fantasy.
                        -Twice Freed, and The Bronze Bow. It’s been many millennia (actually just a few years) since I read them, but I remember they were great historical fiction.
                        -The Binding of the Blade. Slightly allegorical Christian fantasy.
                        -Passages. I don’t know if these books would make any sense to people who have never listened to Adventures in Odyssey, and they might be directed towards younger readers, but I liked them.
                        -Anything by H. G. Wells. Absolutely awesome stuff. Are you a science fiction person? Even if you’re not, I think you’d like them because they are more about people than science.
                        -The Secret Garden. It’s not historical fiction, but it is historic-y because it was written so long ago.
                        -God Girl. My favorite non-fiction book.
                        I know I’m forgetting something, but I’ve rambled long enough 😉

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Emma Flournoy
                        @emma-flournoy
                          • Total Posts: 1352

@LifeofKatie I’ve probably told you before and @Daeus already mentioned it, but—LES MIS OF COURSE. Seriously. 😀

Read any of the Scarlet Pimpernel books?

North and South—Elizabeth Gaskell (Really good period drama. BBC’s miniseries of it is just as good.)

A Tale of Two Cities of course. 🙂

The Ball and the Cross—Chesterton

Rolf and the Viking Bow—Allen French

Aaaand I know there are more but…for now… 😀

FeedingMyGoldfish
                          @feedingmygoldfish
                            • Total Posts: 47

@mariposa I love An Old Fashioned Girl!!!

FeedingMyGoldfish
                            @feedingmygoldfish
                              • Total Posts: 47

@lifeof katie Some of my favorites are:
                              – Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
                              – anything by Eleanor H. Porter
                              – (probably) anything by Lynn Austin…I’ve read a few of her books and liked them a lot, but I can’t speak for every single one…yet B-)

Mariposa Aristeo
                              @mariposa

@feedingmygoldfish I didn’t know you read An Old Fashioned Girl! 😀 Little Women may be a little more wellknown, but I actually liked An Old Fashion Girl the best of Louisa May Alcott’s books. 🙂

katie
                                @lifeofkatie

@mariposa @feedingmygoldfish @emma-flournoy @daughteroftheking – thank you all sooooo much for all of your wonderful suggestions!!!!! 😀 I really appreciate it! MY list of books to read is now full 🙂 😉 My brain shall be happy for at least a few years, haha!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >