Book Recommendations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal
      • Total Posts: 635

@daughteroftheking @jane-maree I can’t figure that out *joins in on head-scratching*

XD Cody was awesome. The secret is, all the Epics were actually wee fairies. Something just went wrong with them and they became humanlike superheroes.

Hmm

I liked Prof a lot.  A few of the scenes with Megan felt slightly wrong to me, but overall, I liked her as a character a lot. And of course David. XD His horrible-good metaphors were amazing. To Mizzy:

“Well, trust me,” I said. “I’m more intense than I look. I’m intense like a lion is orange.”

“So, like, medium intense? Since a lion is kind of a tannish color?”

“No, they’re orange.” I frowned. “Aren’t they? I’ve never actually seen one.”

“I think tigers are the orange ones,” Mizzy said. “But they’re still only half orange, since they have black stripes. Maybe you should be intense like an orange is orange.”

“Too obvious,” I said. “I’m intense like a lion is tannish.” Did that work? Didn’t exactly slip off the tongue.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Sam Kowal.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
      Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

NC Stokes
      @daughteroftheking
        • Total Posts: 1156

@jane-maree @sam-kowal Lol, I love David’s metaphors. I cracked up at the “you’re like a potato” part with Megan.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Jane Maree
        @jane-maree
          • Total Posts: 909

@Daughteroftheking oh my wooooord yes. XD I was giggling through that entire section.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Joy
          @dekreel
            • Total Posts: 2304

@jane-maree  @sam-kowal  @dragon-snapper @daeus  @jenwriter17  @rochellaine  @anyone

Awhile ago I was reading the KP article about terrible books. So are there any terrible books that you would recommend for me? XD I’m curious

You can pronounce it however you want.

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17
              • Total Posts: 2522

@dekreel kinda said to say, but yes I do have a terrible book recommendation. It’s the Adventures in the American Revolution series. They’re more middle grade books, and really short. Younger kids may like them, but me being my age and being a writer, they were pretty bad. If you asked me what one book was about I wouldn’t be able to tell you, because it didn’t feel like there was any plot. With one of the books, the title and the back cover description made it sound like the story was kinda centered around this horse having a baby, but I didn’t even know there was a pregnant mare until the end of the book. ugh! I didn’t finished the series.

Like i said, they’re pretty thin, so you’d probably be able to get them pretty cheap if you’re just wanting to test something because of the KP article (I haven’t read it yet though)

Hope this helps!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
              www.jennaterese.com

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@dekreel I think the two worst books I’ve ever read were The Secret Garden and Starship Troopers. The main problem with both of them was that literally NOTHING with a quadruple capital N happened. Not to mention that they’re both very off philosophically.

I also put a book down 3/4 of the way through recently, which I almost never do. It was called The Robe. I must say, I know two people that really liked it, I never got to the ending, and there actually were parts of it I really liked. For most of the story though, literally NOTHING with a quadruple capital N happened.

Moral of the story, don’t have a horrible plot filled with fluff or it may suffer the fate of the Hindenburg.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Joy
                @dekreel

@daeus  *jaw drops* *stammers*

You…

don’t…

like…

Secret…

Garden?!??!?!?

I am SHOCKED! Just shocked…. *slowly shaking head* 😯

*sigh* Anyway, you and @jenwriter17, thank you so very much for the suggestions! I’ll look into them 😀

Sam Kowal
                  @sam-kowal

@daeus *Eyes widen in shock* *Stan roars like all the raspberries on earth are gone*

You don’t like The Secret Garden or Starship Troopers?

How alarming. What about that opening scene from Troopers? With bombs exploding, soldiers para… um, capsuling I guess… onto a planet full of aliens and destroying stuff?

I must admit, those two books are short on action, after the openings.

But if those are the best you can do for bad books…

1. Michael Vey (And all the endless ones that come after it to prolong the series…)

These books start okay, with cool ideas but flat characters and writing limp as a sock. After a bit, the endless recycling to make the plot longer becomes maddening…

2. Divergent

Okay, so I’ve heard loads of people love these. And maybe it’s not the worst book I’ve ever read. But it certainly didn’t make me want to read any of the rest the series, so I just abandoned it. Besides some of the content being bad, it felt like complete cliched dystopian smarm, screwed together with stock characters and some worldbuilding that was kind of trying to be unique but came off as annoying and implausible. Hunger Games was better, for sure.

3. Maximum Ride (plus sequels)

I actually liked these, a lot, at one point. But the writing is really bland, like cardboard cereal. The series doesn’t really have a theme or message, which makes it just feel like purposeless strands of weak sentences. The ideas, like flying superkids, are quite fun, but there’s not much else there.

4. Star Wars books

This isn’t really helpful, because I can’t remember any titles XD. But I read a lot of these Star Wars novels which were pretty much written by hired authors to make a series, and were mostly bad. Unlike Star Wars itself, they didn’t have any compelling characters and overall seemed pasted together.

5. Thrones of Fire

I actually liked Percy Jackson, and still do like it. And I liked The Red Pyramid, the first book in the Kane Chronicles. It feels a bit unfair to put Thrones of Fire, the second book, on this list, simply because I loved Percy Jackson, but at the same time, I didn’t even read through the second chapter before I decided not to finish. It just… didn’t engage me anymore. It felt like a cheaply put together story.

😀 Anyway, @dekreel here’s my list. Some of these I liked for awhile before I changed my mind, so they’re probably good examples of books a lot of people like but aren’t superb.

Jenna Terese
                    @jenwriter17

hey everyone! I just bought three new books and I plan on reading them soon. I wanted to see if anyone of you had read any of these, and if so, I would appreciate any warnings of questionable content. Here they are:

Defier, by Mandy Fender

Swipe, by Evan Angler

Last Light, by Terri Blackstock

btw, is anyone on Goodreads?

@jane-maree
                      @mariposa @seekjustice @dragon-snapper @dekreel @sam-kowal @emily-d @anyone else

www.jennaterese.com

Sam Kowal
                      @sam-kowal

@jenwriter17 Actually, I’ve never read any of those. If you read them, let us know if they were good:D

And no, I’m not on Goodreads. I do get quotes from authors there, though

Jane Maree
                        @jane-maree
                          • Total Posts: 909

@Jenwriter17 I haven’t actually read any of those books, but I looked them up and read friends’ reviews to get an idea.

Defier – I’ve checked with a friend who read this and it’s perfectly clean content-wise.

Swipe – Several friends have enjoyed it and didn’t mention anything about bad content

Last Light – Also clean, by report of trustworthy friends 😛

I would say you’re all clear to go. 😉

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Jenna Terese
                          @jenwriter17

@sam-kowal Yes, I’ll definitely let you all know how they are. I predict fangirling in the near future

@Jane-maree
                            awesome!

www.jennaterese.com

Christine Eaton
                            @christi-eaton
                              • Total Posts: 306

Just curious, has anyone here read any Wendell Berry or Marilynne Robinson?

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Joy
                              @dekreel

@christi-eaton  No, I haven’t…

@sam-kowal
                                  @jane-maree  @jenwriter17  @dragon-snapper  @rochellaine  @skredder  @valtmy  @kate-flournoy  @daeus  @anyone

Sci-fi books that you’d recommend, anyone? I seriously need to read more of it… Oh! Or Steampunk! I’ve never read Steampunk and I really want to. Unless it isn’t a book genre……

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17

@christi-eaton sorry, I haven’t either

@dekreel
                                  I can’t think of any sci-fi books at the moment (unless dytopian is considered sci-fi. if it is, I’d recommend the Out of Time series by Nadine Brandes). I’ll definitely let you know if I think of any…

www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >