Book Recommendations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    SeekJustice
    @seekjustice
      • Total Posts: 3365

@jenwriter17

I don’t really read much sci-fi, but I just recently read The Giver, by Lois Lowry. It was really enjoyable. H. G. Wells and Jules Verne are always enjoyable and you might like Marissa Meyer’s Lunar Chronicles, I enjoy them as well (I’m up to the third book).

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

SeekJustice
      @seekjustice

@jenwriter17

Brandon Sanderson also has a series called Reckoners. I recommend them too.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

Jane Maree
        @jane-maree
          • Total Posts: 909

@SeekJustice THE RECKONERS AAAAHHHH *so much flailing*

@Jenwriter17
          yessss for sci fi. I definitely also vouch for The Reckoners series (Brandon Sanderson) and also The lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice

@jane-maree YES!! *happily flails with you*

Both of them are amazing stories!!

Jenna Terese
            @jenwriter17
              • Total Posts: 2522

@seekjustice @jane-maree thanks, friends!

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
              www.jennaterese.com

Josiah DeGraaf
              @aratrea
                • Total Posts: 717

@jenwriter17 Yess… I’ve been on a bit of a sci-fi kick lately, so here’s what I got in addition to those mentioned.

-Ender’s Game & Speaker for the Dead (the sequel) are my two favorite speculative fiction books of all time. There’s some language in both books, so if that concerns you, you probably want to stay clear of it, but the themes are really good.

-The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead is a fun world-hopping w/dimensional portals sci-fi novel.

-Canticle for Leibowitz is really unique and different, but is a fascinating work of Catholic sci-fi.

-Dune by Frank Herbert is one of the definitive works of the sci-fi genre. It’s been a while since I’ve read it, though, so it may have language in it. I don’t remember.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

To whom it may concern…I recently finished a book in two hours–something I haven’t done since I was little. It was good, really good. I’m not gonna say anything about it, except that if you’re looking for a book with a great plot and plot twists and awesome characters…read Scythe, by Neil Schusterman.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Jane Maree
                  @jane-maree

@That_Writer_Girl_99 aaah yes yes my sister read Scythe and O-O it sounds amazing. I haven’t gotten around to reading it but I 10000% plan to.

Sam Kowal
                    @sam-kowal
                      • Total Posts: 635

@jane-maree @seekjustice The Reckoners!

*Stan does a happy flail*

I didn’t even think of those as sci-fi, I always considered those superhero-action (if that’s even a real genre. It’s not.) XD

I love those, books, though. I hope someday Brandon writes one more book with David in it, although I don’t think he’s planning on lengthening that trilogy any more. I can’t bear to leave Megan and David and Prof forever.

That ending, too, though. Sparking mind-blowing XD 😛 😛

*flies away to go battle Steelheart*

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Sam Kowal.

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                      Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Jenna Terese
                      @jenwriter17

@aratrea @that_writer_girl_99 Thank you both! Another blogger I know has read Scythe I think, and she loves it!

www.jennaterese.com

SeekJustice
                        @seekjustice

@sam-kowal I don’t know if it is, but I just group superhero as a subgenre of sci-fi.

Mariposa Aristeo
                          @mariposa
                            • Total Posts: 335

@jenwriter17 I haven’t read much sci-fi, but I recently received a sci-fi book for Christmas and I enjoyed it so much I bought the rest of the series. It’s called Robot Wars and it’s by Sigmund Brouwer.  🙂

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

@mariposa Okay, I’ll check that one out too. 😉

www.jennaterese.com

Rochellaine
                              @rochellaine
                                • Total Posts: 3322

@jenwriter17 Definitely definitely Robot Wars.  @mariposa How dare you beat me at recommending them when I read them at least five years before you did? 🙂

They are really very well-written in every way.  Every time I see that they’re set in 2040 I wonder how much Sigmund Brouwer has correctly predicted – and how soon we’ll find out…

(I don’t know if they’re still set in 2040.  Back when they were first published there were ten in the series, but now they are published two-in-one so that there are five, and I’m not sure if they changed anything.)

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Jane Maree
                                @jane-maree

@Sam-Kowal Technically you can narrow down all Speculative Fiction into either Fantasy or Sci Fi to be extremely broad, so Superhero/action does fit in there.

But yeessss. I love those books so much. *lots of flailing* That ending almost killed me. XD

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >