Book Recommendations

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Joy
    @dekreel
      • Total Posts: 2304

@dragon-snapper  @daeus  @catwing  @ethryndal  @epicaddie2  @that_writer_girl_99  @audrey-caylin  @seekjustice  @kate-flournoy  @emma-flournoy

I am in need of some book recommendations. Preferably fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction. Also something with action. I have read like half of Narnia, the Hobbit (but not the LOTR), and the first book of Harrry Potter. And I’m currently reading Les Miserables.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ethryndal
      @ethryndal
        • Total Posts: 1013

@Dekreel FINISH NARNIA. It’s worth it.

Now for Sarah’s random and incredibly obscure book recommendations:

There’s this book that no one but me has ever heard of called The Gammage Cup, by Carol Kendall, and it’s a super good, whimsical little fantasy. And this other one called Mortis, by Hannah Cobb, which is about a school of assassins and actually made ME, the heartless INTJ, sob over. That one’s so rare that I don’t think they even sell the hard-copy anymore, but you can get it for like, two bucks on Kindle.

The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson is cool. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Spear is the best historical-fiction I’ve ever read. (Not that I’ve read that much, but still; it’s an incredible book.) And The Witch of Blackbird Pond. (Not real witches, guys. It’s about Puritans and Quakers.)

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Audrey Caylin
        @audrey-caylin
          • Total Posts: 323

@dekreel yes. Finish Narnia first 😉

Besides that, C.S. Lewis’ sci-fi trilogy is said to be good (I have the first book but I haven’t begun it yet). Then…
          – Ilyon Chronicles, by Jaye L. Knight: great fantasy novels with a historical twist, and with the most tortured character you’ll ever meet.
          – Blades of Acktar, by Trish Mingerink: they’re also fantasy with a historical feel. Both hers and Jaye’s are self-published, but they’re very well written.
          – Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, and Children of the Bard, by Bryan Davis. Basically all of his stuff is amazing. It’s clean, epic fantasy with amazing allegories.
          – Songkeeper Chronicles, by Gillian Bronte Adams. They’re high fantasy.
          – Children of the Blood Moon, but S.D. Grimm. I just started this series and loove it. It’s fantasy and fairy-tale in one.
          *realizes how much fantasy I read* Hm… I think that’s all I’ve got off the top of my head. I know you didn’t mention dystopian, but the Out of Time trilogy by Nadine Brandes is really good as well.
          Oh, and if you’re looking for historical, I find that about every classic is good. My Antonia, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Last of the Mohicans…

SeekJustice
          @seekjustice
            • Total Posts: 3365

@dekreel

I’M BACK!!

I don’t know what everyone else has recommended, but I’ll give you some of my favourites

• The Giver by Lois Lowry
            • The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
            • A Cast of Stones by Patrick Carr
            • The Door Within trilogy by Wayne Thomas Batson
            • A Time To Die by Nadine Brandes. An absolutely awesome book!
            • Les Miserables of course is awesome!
            • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baronness Orczy
            • The Little White Horse by Elisabeth Goudge
            • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. My current reading
            • And of course, finish Narnia and try some of Lewis’ other books.

INFP Queen of the Kingdom commander of an army of origami cranes and a sabre from Babylon.

EpicAddie2
            @epicaddie2
              • Total Posts: 794

@dekreel

I agree with everyone else, FINISH NARNIA!!!

Besides that though, here are some books.

• Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan
              • Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
              • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (Okay, so this isn’t fantasy or HF or sci-fi, and it’s more for younger kids, but I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH)
              • Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielson

Okay, so that’s not a lot, but if I continue the list will go on for all of eternity, so I’ll leave it there 😉

INFJ ~ 4w5
              aldarley.wordpress.com

Emma Flournoy
              @emma-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 1352

@Dekreel

The Mysterious Benedict Society trilogy, by Trenton Lee Stewart

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens (though that and the previous might be a little slow if you’re looking for action. But then again, if you’re reading something like Les Mis, you might not mind. 😀 They’re great.)

Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

And you should read LotR. 😉

Jenna Terese
                @jenwriter17
                  • Total Posts: 2522

Heloooooo! Does anyone have any sci-fi book recommendations? I don’t think I own one sci-fi book and there’s an empty space on my………oh, wait…….well, I just wanna try some sci-fi! 😊

@mariposa
                  @skredder @itisastarrynight @dekreel @audrey-caylin @dragon-snapper @jane-maree @radically-surrendered @seekjustice @sam-kowal @aratrea @daeus @notawriter @rochellaine @emily-d @kballen @anyone else

I'm a Kapeefer 'TIL WE'RE OLD AND GREY!
                  www.jennaterese.com

Joy
                  @dekreel
                    • Total Posts: 2304

@jenwriter17  The only sci-fi I’ve read is A Wrinkle in Time, and it’s really good! I would highly recommend it 🙂

You can pronounce it however you want.

Snapper
                    @dragon-snapper
                      • Total Posts: 3515

@jenwriter17 Oh, books….

Um………………………….

I just looked at my bookshelf and realized that besides Artemis Fowl, I don’t have a single sci-fi book on my shelf. Maybe that’s why I like writing it. I don’t have any……

Sorry. 🙁

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Skredder
                      @skredder
                        • Total Posts: 527

@jenwriter17 I also recommend the Wrinkle in Time series, with addend that the third book in the series, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, is my favorite.

You can always go old school with H.G. Wells. While the “science” in his books is questionable in its realism, his books are still fun reads.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Sam Kowal
                        @sam-kowal
                          • Total Posts: 635

@jenwriter17 Sci-fi…. A Wrinkle in Time is great, along with Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis, and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells… also, I can’t forget this one: From the Earth to the Moon, by Jules Verne. Not really a futuristic sci-fi, more like a historical sci-fi, but it is really hilarious, and an amazing story about guns and space travel. Basically, gun engineers from the Civil War are left jobless after the war is over, and they build a gun so powerful it can shoot a projectile all the way to the moon…

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                          Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Skredder
                          @skredder
                            • Total Posts: 527

@sam-kowal, How could I have forgotten to mention Jules Verne!? @jenwriter17, I highly recommend his books too!

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Jenna Terese
                            @jenwriter17

@skredder @dekreel @sam-kowal @dragon-snapper Thank you, all!

www.jennaterese.com

Audrey Caylin
                              @audrey-caylin
                                • Total Posts: 323

@jenwriter17 Definitely Out of the Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)! And if you want something in the YA genre as well, there’s the Girl Who Could See (Kara Swanson) and Replication (Jill Williamson)

Jenna Terese
                                @jenwriter17

@audrey-caylin The Girl Who Could See is on my book list! I’ll have to check into Replication too. I like Jill Williamson.

www.jennaterese.com

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 129 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >