Belated Introduction

Home Page Forums General Site Info Start HERE Belated Introduction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kate Flournoy
    @kate-flournoy
      • Total Posts: 3976

I really should have done this a long time ago, but here is my introductory post. Or semi-introductory… or something like that.
      But anyway, I am a sixteen year old homeschooled girl who goes by the name of Kate. My favorite genre to write is fantasy, hands down, though I have done a few historical fiction novels that I’m pretty happy with. I live in the Hocking Hills of Ohio and assist in running my family’s log cabin rental business. I like to sing, play the harp and piano, paint, and do calligraphy. I am the second oldest of ten kids. My favorite author is J.R.R Tolkien. My Savior is Jesus Christ. And writing for Him is my passion. My mission is to help in the rise of Godly literature that our generation so desperately needs.
      And I think that’s pretty much all you need to know about me, except that I’m crazy… but most writers are.

Reagan Ramm
      @reaganramm
        • Total Posts: 110

Hi Kate!

It is so cool you live in the Hocking Hills! My family had been looking to move there for a long time (I grew up in central Ohio), but then 10 months ago we moved to Florida. Haha! We did rent a cabin one time at Burr Oak State Park though.

Glad to have you on the forum!

My Music:
        AndromedaCoastMusic.com

Learn Music Production:
        OrpheusAudioAcademy.com

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy

Florida! That’s nothing like Ohio, let alone the Hocking Hills! 🙂
          I’m glad to be on this forum.

Rachel Lester
          @waterandpen
            • Total Posts: 40

Hullo, Kate!

Wow. You help run a log cabin rental business? That sounds so fun. <3 I love cabins. So you do calligraphy? Have you ever tried writing Tengwar? (If that’s the proper name for it…there’s so many variants that I always end up confused) It’s quite fun writing in Tolkien’s Elvish. Not quite like calligraphy, but easier for those of us who don’t have the steadiest of hands 😉
            Yes, yes, yes! I have a passion there too. It’s awful going into a bookstore or library and walking through the YA section. It’s so full of darkness, you know? We need more people like you, uncompromising, to write for God and be a light.

Cheers!
            Rachel Lester

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy

First things first, Rachel. An apology is in order. I beg your pardon for being so late in replying. My only excuse (a rather shabby one) is that something seems to have gone wrong with the setting that sends replies to email. They have not been coming into the inbox. I was on my page today, and saw this cute little button stamped with the word ‘notifications’. I clicked on it, and saw that you had posted here. A thousand apologies. That may be somewhat extravagant, but better safe than sorry. At least, that’s what I always say.
              Yes, running a cabin business definitely has been an adventure in the truest sense. Besides the mundane and commonplace occurrences of cars (with their brakes on) flying down our relatively angled incline of a driveway in the winter, often coming to a stop a mere fifty feet beyond the end of the drive, (slight exaggeration added for full shock affect) we have had some interesting moments. But really, cleaning cabins isn’t that bad when you get used to it. Routines become… well… routine, after a while.
              I have not tried to write Tengwar, but I know what you’re talking about, and I would love to teach myself to do it if I can ever find the time. Mostly I like learning old fonts like Gothic and Uncial and Carolingian, though I did learn Italic and a lesser known Italian font called Batarde. Uncial and Carolingian are the fonts that Tolkien used for his maps, and that’s what first made me fall in love with them. And Gothic I like because the monkish illuminated scriptures you see from the middle ages are done in that font. I don’t think I’ve learned a single font simply because I thought it was pretty— they all had some sort of meaning to me. But— *choke cough gasp* Heh-heh… you didn’t ask for a lecture on calligraphy. So… I hope this reply was all you were hoping for. Because you’ve certainly had to wait a long time to get it! Again, I do apologize for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >