Beginners' Tips For Writing Science Fiction

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Beginners' Tips For Writing Science Fiction

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kamibaya
    @mark-kamibaya
      • Total Posts: 318

Sci-Fi Tips Part 9

I don’t feel like breaking down another sci-fi sub-genre. So I’ll just tell you that there are a lot of possibilities out there. If you think you know sci-fi completely, then you probably don’t. Here are just a few of the many possible genres to write in.

Have you heard of Steampunk or Dieselpunk? These two sub-genres are classic sci-fi that get overlooked way too often. What about Lost World? You may not know the genre, but you probably know its’ most famous examples–Journey to the Center of the Earth by Verne, The Lost World by Conan Doyle, The Land That Time Forgot by Burroughs, and who can forget King Solomon’s Mines by Haggard?

The predictable space exploration sub-genre may seem dead probably because it has resorted to the “marooned in space” trope way too often. But films like Gravity and The Martian are examples of space exploration stories that the audience loved because of the characters not the predictable plot. And what about military sci-fi? If you haven’t heard of it (or dislike it) it’s probably because the whole genre has started becoming the science fiction version of action films. But the military side of science fiction can actually have more insight than the common “sci-fi flick” just because of its unique perspective.

Another genre is time travel. It’s pretty self-explanatory, and I know you’re familiar with it. But do you know about time travel’s little cousin the time loop? It’s a spin-off of time travel, too small to be considered the genre, but the success of films like Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow prove this thriving and expanding trope could turn into an entire genre. I mentioned steampunk and dieselpunk before. What about the other “punks?” Cyberpunk and Biopunk. These genres that focus on information technology and biology respectively have spawned many beloved books and films including Tron, Jurrasic Park, The Matrix, and Unwind.

Sci-fi is a vast genre with many sub-genres and even more tropes that could turn into genres. Explore the possibilities within sci-fi, because this genre speaks like no other.

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
      @mark-kamibaya

Aaand now that that’s over . . .

For the last week of the month of June, I’ll be posting random tips that might actually be useful (unlike my deconstruction of sub-genres) :). I’ll tag random people so they can follow this thread throughout the last week of Sci-Fi Month and (hopefully) read the sub-genre deconstructions that I posted earlier.

@emily-d

@dragon-snapper

@brandon-miller

@leumeister

@holly-nelson-gray

@jayniecatgirl08

@sleepwalkingMK

@mariposa

@overcomer

@sierra-r

Leumeister
        @leumeister
          • Total Posts: 244

Hello, @mark-kamibaya!

Are you posting these here, or on your blog?

Leumeister
          @leumeister

Oh um… I haven’t been checking up on here… I guess you were posting them here. 😛

Mark Kamibaya
            @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 10

Let me deconstruct a popular sci-fi convention. It is commonly viewed as a cliché, but I see the value of the Social Inequality convention. The entire dystopian genre is dependent upon Social Inequality so there clearly is an audience for it. Therefore, there must be something intrinsically fascinating about a state where the gap between elites and commoners is oceans wide. Even if you’re writing a non-dystopian science fiction story, Social Inequality may be a valuable aspect of your story’s world.

Social Inequality attracts an interest which is rooted inside of us. We, as an audience, see the elites climbing higher as we sink lower. Even if we are well-off, our covetous nature still finds a minority of privileged people. There is always someone better than we are. When we see a world standing as a warning for what our own world might become, we identify with it and embrace it.

The main value of the Social Inequality convention is its ability to serve as commentary on many social issues. It can protest against assisted suicide, criticize the excess of the media, or highlight society’s obsessions. It can also shed light on religion and tolerance. Social Inequality is not just a worldbuilding convention. It’s a thematic tool.

Mark Kamibaya
              @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Pat 11

There are way too many authors of science fiction and fantasy who are guilty of Common Noun Overkill. Don’t know what that is?

Well, what happens when The Protector must meet the Magus who will give her the Sword which is empowered by the Light so she can fight the Dark One, keeper of the Darkness, who resides at the Black Cove with his wife, the Temptress. But before she can get the Sword, the Protector has to travel through the Wasteland which is ruled by the Claw, the cruel leader of the Malevolent, and obtain the Vial from the Wanderer at the Wall. Will she die at the hands of the Claw or the Wanderer or the Dark One before she can save the Homeland, which is inhabited by the Children, from the Darkness?

At this point, nobody cares.

Gracie
                @graciegirl
                  • Total Posts: 889

@Mark-Kamibaya lol that’s absolutely hilarious.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Mark Kamibaya
                  @mark-kamibaya

@graciegirl Haha! Literally, every modern fantasy novel ever!

PS Don’t get mad at me fantasy writers. I was just joking 😛

Mark Kamibaya
                    @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 12

The robot is prevalent throughout sci-fi. Because of its popularity the robot has generally fallen into two character types: the Robot Who Wants To Be Human and the Bumbling Robot. One convention I hate. The other one I tolerate (don’t necessarily love it). Read carefully and decide for yourself whether or not my hate and preferences are justified.

The Robot Who Wants To Be Human
                      This convention is prevalent throughout science fiction. The character is a robot who wants to be completely human much like Pinocchio wanting to be a real boy. The robot may be either humanlike in physically or just psychologically. It doesn’t matter, because the key character trait is the robot’s intense desire to be human. Since the motivation behind the ambition and the method of attaining her goal may widely vary, the tone of the resulting story can range from friendly and comical to dark and obsessive.

I like this convention. Maybe it’s because I am fascinated with how human-like robots contrast humans. Or maybe I enjoy the philosophical questions of humanity and free will that this character type brings up. Or maybe I see myself in the robot. Because humans are also highly ambitious creatures, the aspirations of the robot may be the most human part of it.

The Bumbling Robot
                      In the world of the Bumbling Robot, mankind has succeeded in creating the groundbreaking innovation of artificial intelligence. Yet somehow engineers cannot program the robots to deduce faster than the average four year old. The product is a Bumbling Robot that cannot perform its duties without acting cutesy.

That is clearly the reason for making a Bumbling Robot. Storytellers want to endear the robot to the audience, so they make it inefficient and childlike—the direct opposite of the cold, calculating villainous robots. And it works. The audience does connect with the adorable robot.
                      However, I’m in the small percentage of people who can’t suspend their disbelief without questioning the abilities of the robot’s creator. In my opinion, ideal robots would have as many dimensions as any real human being. Unfortunately, popular storytellers resort to charm rather than realism.

Leumeister
                      @leumeister

@mark-kamibaya

…However, I’m in the small percentage of people who can’t suspend their disbelief without questioning the abilities of the robot’s creator. In my opinion, ideal robots would have as many dimensions as any real human being. Unfortunately, popular storytellers resort to charm rather than realism.

Like Wall-E?

Mark Kamibaya
                        @mark-kamibaya

@leumeister Yes, like Wall-E. But think about it a little harder. Is he just a bumbling robot? The writers of that film were a little on the nose to prove otherwise.

Mark Kamibaya
                          @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 13

The idea of combining the past and future is not new. Ever heard of steampunk or its lesser-known, but still super awesome, cousin dieselpunk? They are genres that combine both past and futuristic elements, and they’re super popular. The renown of such genres exists because an anachronistic setting raises the question, “How does such a world operate?” This question engages the audience immediately. More importantly, a unique setting can completely change your story. It can drive the entire story or refresh an overused plotline. A unique setting impacts your story in more ways than you think.

The anachronistic setting is not hard to achieve. Merging ancient fashion with a modern world. Allowing for swords and machine guns to be used simultaneously. Combining medieval politics with a 21st century setting. These are all examples of merging the past and the future in your world. But possibilities are endless.

I strongly encourage every storyteller to mix and match ancient and contemporary elements without any hindrance. Combine ingredients like a master chef until you find the perfect world. A completely original world.

Mark Kamibaya
                            @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 14

The Worst Worldbuilding Mistake Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Make (I titled this one. That means it’s important :P)

Earth is a wonderful planet to live on. The shifting seasons and geographical diversity make it a unique and beautiful gift to mankind. But if Earth is the only example of a planet supporting life, then why do many alien planets lack much variation—if any?

Many science fiction stories have planets of all shapes and sizes but with only one geographical feature spread across its surface. Desert planets. Jungle planets. Arctic planets. Water planets. And these planets support life? Totally unfound in this universe.

Homogenous planets point to an unimaginative world builder. One who doesn’t utilize all the tools at his disposal. One who doesn’t realize the power a great setting can have–a world builder who squanders opportunities.

But homogenous planets aren’t the worst mistake. A homogenous race is even more disappointing.

The Irish are angry. The French are romantic. The Italians are expressive.

As humans, we tend to push foreign cultures into stereotypes. As a matter of fact, we even push our own sub-cultures into stereotypes, as seen through the racism against black and Hispanic Americans. Like it or not, this flawed mindset bleeds into worldbuilding.

Authors view races and cultures as homogenous. They are all warlike or agricultural or religious. Or, even worse, everyone is angry or snobbish or romantic. Perhaps the worst offense is viewing the entire race as having the same goal (they all want to go green or get gold or conquer lands).

Worldbuilding should never be done in broad strokes. Doing so will create a disappointing world. A world that may be easier to swallow but, also, will lack the nuances of reality. At best, you’re overlooking opportunities. At worst, you’re advocating human prejudice.

Mark Kamibaya
                              @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 15

Random Sci-Fi Character Types Deconstructed

The Lone Gunslinger

As you may have guessed, the Lone Gunslinger is a character type borrowed from Westerns. The character type works well in science fiction, specifically space operas, because there are many parallels between Westerns and science fiction space operas including the discovery and exploration of new lands, indigenous people, and rampant lawlessness. The name “Lone Gunslinger” fits the character type well, because he is both isolated from society and a highly skilled combatant. A bleak backstory is optional, though some stories embrace him as an outsider in a fun, quirky way. At his core, the Lone Gunslinger is a drifter who wants to do good.

I understand when others say this character type is clichéd. The Lone Gunslinger has crossed over to many different genres with little variation. But I believe that’s why this is a convention, not a cliché. Since the Lone Gunslinger works so well in different genres, there must be a strong appeal for this character type. Of course, the widespread use of this convention attests to the opinion that it’s a tired trope. That may be true, but I will still enjoy this character type as much as I can.

Rebellious Youths

You’ve heard the story before. A (usually unqualified) youngster steps into a dangerous environment in which only the elite survive. All the odds are stacked against her. However, using just her wit and will, she rebels against authority and sidelines rules resulting in a shocking triumph. Bonus points if she proves herself to always be right. Add sci-fi bonus points if she has a fling with an alien or is excessively serious (or snarky, just as long as they’re excessively something).

This character type has grown in popularity in the past couple years. And I’m sick of it. It seems that every young person must start a rebellion and prove to be right. It’s as if authors are scared that teens won’t identify with a young person who isn’t rebellious know-it-all. Maybe they are.

Hopefully, storytellers can prepare this clichéd convention in a unique way. Add pinch orthodoxy. A dash of humility. Age her a decade or two. Place the character into the heat of trials until she becomes multifaceted. And there you have it. Enjoy your restyled rebellious youth.

Strong Military Women

Strong military women are the classic well-muscled heroes of action movies, but re-imagined as females. Except they aren’t. They are literally male action movie heroes but with a female name. The problem is twofold.

The military action genre relies on bazookas and blood to attract the reader. Therefore, while the plot may be an exciting rollercoaster ride, one-dimensional characters abound. In defense of the genre, characters of depth aren’t really needed. The closest you get to a complex character is the hero’s three-dimensional muscles.

Science fiction storytellers are also to blame. The male action hero can use brawn and bullets to solve problems. However, a change in gender must lead to a change in story, because women are not men. They approach problems differently than men. This does not mean that women cannot sprint towards the enemy with guns blazing. They can do that if necessary, but their motivations, mindset, and sentiments must vary at least a little bit.

Including Strong Military Women in a science fiction story used to be a profound statement. Now it’s just falling into the cliché that a woman in a man’s world must think like a man and act like a man in order to win like a man. It’s insulting to women . . . and men too.

Mad Scientist

Just like the Lone Gunslinger, the name of the famed Mad Scientist describes the character type quite well. He is mad and he is a scientist. The mad aspect of this character is not as one-dimensional as it seems. The madness of the scientist may be subjective, reasonable, obsessive, or just plain crazy. When combined with the brains of a scientist, madness yields serious, far-reaching repercussions. This is the appeal of the convention: the danger that appears when madness affects a genius, and the puzzle of a crazed mind.

Unfortunately, the Mad Scientist character convention, after many years of dilution, is usually written as a caricature. Very few stories capture the layers and depth this convention provides. I believe that is why most see the Mad Scientist as a cliché. However, if more authors infuse this convention with its original essence—the mystery of what lies in the mind of a mad man—the Mad Scientist will prove to be the great convention it truly is.

Mark Kamibaya
                                @mark-kamibaya

Sci-Fi Tips Part 16: The Final Installation

@emily-d
                                  @dragon-snapper @brandon-miller @leumeister @holly-nelson-gray @jayniecatgirl08 @sleepwalkingMK @daeus @overcomer @sierra-r

Honestly, I have so much more research I could pour into this thread, but sci-fi month is over so I’ll leave it as it is. Hope you guys enjoyed my rants and raves on various genres and conventions within sci-fi. And hopefully you learned a thing or two.

Science Fiction is a massive genre with so much potential. From the sub-genres to the characters to the tropes, all aspects of this genre can be utilized to make a powerful and truly enjoyable ride. I’d like to see more Christian science fiction that actually moves people–not the normal schlock I see on Amazon.

Whatever genre you normally write in, I strongly urge you to try science fiction. When you explore the possibilities this genre provides, you may never leave it. So go ahead and experience it for yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >