Be in Our Newsletter!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Be in Our Newsletter!!

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
      • Total Posts: 1819

Alright folks! ‘nother newsletter is done, and that means its time to submit your advice! If you can come with it, I want to hear it! Put it down below!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

pickupyourpenandwrite
      @pickupyourpenandwrite
        • Total Posts: 37

Understanding the Truth About Identity 

Needless to say, I love to write and would subsequently call myself a writer. I’ve never really questioned this up until recently.

Not too long ago however, I started having doubts. In my English class at school I sit next to two students which I suppose you would call straight A students. They, unlike me, don’t have a passion for writing yet have a natural aptitude for it. When we sat an exam, it wasn’t me that got the highest mark.

I was left questioning myself. If people who aren’t writers were doing better then me then what hope do I have in the industry?

I was left wondering if I really was  writer. After all, my first draft had been sat in a drawer for almost a month and I wasn’t writing for pleasure.

To cut the tale short, the message of this story is that it’s so important not to base your self esteem as a writer on the successes of someone else.  There  is always going to be a writer with beautiful complex sentences and world painting abilities that are so much more advanced than yours but they’re not you.

God may have given you a passion for writing and there’s something that you can do that no one else can. Maybe if we put our identity in His hands then our contribution will be better. Let’s not worried about the writers that our better than us but the lives we can positively influence with our books.

"Come out from them and be separate says the Lord." 2 Corinthians 6:17

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99

Hey all! Yesterday’s chosen one was @pickupyourpenandwrite! Congrats!

A new week means all new opportunities to get your name into the newsletter! Want to share writing advice with your fellow KeePers? Simply respond to this thread and you’re entered in our little contest!

Starting this week, include your blog in your post, and the weekly winner will not only get their name in the newsletter, but their blog as well! Cool, huh?

Thanks all, and happy writing!

@rochellaine
          @dekreel @skredder @joisebeth

Joy
          @dekreel
            • Total Posts: 2304

@that_writer_girl_99  Ooh, boy. Let’s try this…

Here is a little tactic for writing a compelling, and non-cliche fantasy story: Diversify your world. By all means include dragons, elves, knights, old parchments and/or a mentor or two — because those are AWESOME. But imagine how much more awesome your world would be if you added a unique and fascinating twist!

For example, in Andrew Peterson’s The Wingfeather Saga, instead of dragons that flew in the air, his world had dragons that swam in, danced in, and ruled, the sea. But Peterson didn’t stop at dragons, he invented toothy cows, bomnubbles, nuzzards, thwaps, and dozens of other cuddly, creepy and crazy creatures.

Spicing up the old components of a fantasy world, and inventing new components as well, is a great way to enthrall your readers, and make the story and plot itself all the more epic.

Of course, creatures aren’t the only factor — that was just an example. There’s also traditions, government, climate, plant-life, people, architecture, etc.

Both left-brained and right-brained people have the capability to create and alter things like that! I would encourage you to experiment with it! And please don’t worry about your ideas being lame! Besides the sky, the only other limit to creativity is yourself!

*cringes* I hope this is okay… Wow, now I really wish I had a blog

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Joy.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Elizabeth
            @that_writer_girl_99

@dekreel Go for the blog idea, but promise me you’ll still post advice here? *grins* Thanks for sharing! Feel free to tag any others that you think would have good advice to share.

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

Friday is here, and that means there’s just a few days left until the newsletter goes out! Post your writerly advice here for a chance to get your name (and blog!!) into the newsletter, where every KeePer eye will see!

@ashlyvye
                @christianna-hellwig @dragon-snapper @rochellaine @mnvalentine

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  • Total Posts: 3515

@that_writer_Girl_99 Let’s see how adviceful I can be…

When it comes to finding a theme for you novel or story, the task before you might seem a bit daunting. After all, there are hundreds to choose from. Lists upon lists of topics to write about, but which one will apply to my novel?

Which one will make the most sense?

As Christian writers, we want to make the most of our novels. Whether we’re writing to publish, or just to enjoy it, we’re still called to write for Christ, in everything we do… Where then, is God’s glory in fantasy?

Do not despair, writers. Finding your theme is easier than it seems. I personally, have found a method called ‘Novel Verses.’ By choosing a verse in the Bible and applying it in different degrees to each of my characters, it creates a unifying picture among the story. Not only does it provide a theme from God’s word, but it gives you a template with which to make your character arcs, plot and world.

If you want to read a more in-depth version of Novel Verses, I posted about them at my blog, here.

Good luck to you and all your thematic adventures!

-D.G. @ Silver Phoenix

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
                  @dragon-snapper

And you can edit that as need be. Just let me know what needs to change. 😛 It is after all, a rough draft.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Bella B.
                    @ashlyvye
                      • Total Posts: 96

This looks like so much fun, but I’m as dry as a half-dug well in the August heat (that means I don’t know what to give advise about)     I’ll most likely try this next time though, thanks for the tag Elizabeth!

*insert awesome signature because I'm a bit too lazy to come up with one*

Bella B.
                      @ashlyvye
                        • Total Posts: 96

This looks like so much fun, but I’m as dry as a half-dug well in August heat (that means I don’t know what to give advise about)     I’ll most likely try this next time though, thanks for the tag Elizabeth!

*insert awesome signature because I'm a bit too lazy to come up with one*

Elizabeth
                        @that_writer_girl_99

@ashlyvye No worries!

@dragon-snapper
                          Great job! Thanks for sharing!

Snapper
                          @dragon-snapper

@that_writer_girl_99 *bows* *hopes the links work*

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          >