Be in Our Newsletter!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Be in Our Newsletter!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Skredder
    @skredder
      • Total Posts: 527

I’m gonna give this a shot

How I write when I don’t know where to go (AKA Writer’s Block)

Write. Yep, that’s my answer, but let me explain. First, I like having a fun little nonsense story going on the side for when my main story is stuck. Just a little something to work on to take my mind off of things. Second, write on your story but don’t think about what you’re writing. You know where they are and you know where you want them to go. Trust your characters to get there on their own. It’s such a weird phenomenon, but the characters do write the story and it’s amazing the ideas they come up with. I’ve had stories go in completely different directions and I’ve had character do completely different things than I had in mind, but it all fit perfectly. Just let it flow. You can edit later if you have to.

And my biggest piece of advice that I’ve got is pray. Before you start banging your head into the wall in frustration, ask the creator for help on your story. He’s always got the perfect solution.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

@skredder Thank you!

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99

Friday is here! That means there’s only a few days left before the Tuesday newsletter goes out! Want to get your advice in before then? Drop it here!

@dragon-snapper
          @ethryndal @pickupyourpenandwrite

MNValentine
          @mnvalentine
            • Total Posts: 123

@that_writer_girl_99 Hm, it came out kind of long, but…

How to Avoid Villain Monologues
            Is there a bigger cliche than a villain winning a fight, standing over the imprisoned hero, raising his sword…and stopping to explain his evil plan? Why is this so common?
            There are two major reasons villains monologue in books. The first is stalling, to give a friend time to stab him in the back, but I would argue the main reason is because it’s the easiest way for the author to reveal the villain’s plan and/or motives. A few alternative ways to reveal the villain’s motives are 1) through the heroes researching the villain’s background, 2) a secondary villain revealing the main villain’s plan in a betrayal, 3) a hero spying on the villains, or 4) giving the hero some close connection to the villain so that they already know the villain’s backstory and what they might be after. Of course, there’s a way to do almost anything well in books, so another option is to find a way to make a villain monologue convincing!

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

Joy
            @dekreel
              • Total Posts: 2304

@mnvalentine  That’s a good one!

@that_writer_girl_99
                Here’s mine. But it’s kind of complicated…

The Importance of Human Nature and Human Experience in Literature

Human nature is basically what all humans are like. It is the combined traits that exist in each and every man’s soul. For example, all human nature…

• Tends to do or be something
              • Is sinful and self-centered to an extent
              • Wants and needs love
              • Tends to idolize something (God, man, lust, money, etc.)
              • … And others

Human experience is the interaction of humans with each other, and learning what they can and can’t control about the world. Include:

• The need of food and water in order to survive
              • The inability to accurately predict the weather, climate and other changes
              • Not knowing the future
              • Not omniscient
              • … And at least a dozen other aspects

Human nature affects human experience to an extent, and human experience affects human nature.

It’s a very complicated aspect that takes a long time to grasp (I still don’t completely understand it, and I’ve been learning about it for over a year now). But if you can apply it to your writing, at least to an extent, you come out with a beautiful, relatable atmosphere that is more likely to capture and resonate in readers’ hearts, and be remembered for years to come.

Just look at Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Hugo’s Les Misérables, or even Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. These two masterpieces took a close look at human nature and experience, and they ended up a couple of the most well-written literary works in history.

I hope this makes sense…

You can pronounce it however you want.

Joy
              @dekreel

Ohh, that’s long O_O Sorry!

MNValentine
                @mnvalentine

@dekreel Yours is really good! You could write an entire article about that…or a book 🙂 Human experience and and human nature can’t be talked about enough when it comes to writing.

Joy
                  @dekreel

@mnvalentine  Ohh, I should have thought about writing an article! Wow, I should!

A BOOK?! Ooooh, mayyyyyyybe when I have learned more about it X’D

MNValentine
                    @mnvalentine

@dekreel Write an article 🙂 I’ll read it and love it… And the book too 😀

Joy
                      @dekreel

@mnvalentine  Okay! I’ll write an article!! Not sure about the book though XD

Elizabeth
                        @that_writer_girl_99

lol, thank you both for sharing your advice! @dekreel @mnvalentine

It’s Monday, and that means the weekly fun email is very close! If you haven’t already, drop your words of wisdom here and get a chance to be in the newsletter! 😉

Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

KeePers, KeePers, one and all! Step right up and drop your info right here! Do it now for a chance to be in next weeks’ newsletter! The future of the world is contingent upon your advice!

Well…not really. But the KeePer’s Corner slot might disappear if you don’t say a word…

Joy
                            @dekreel

@that_writer_girl_99  Ooh… What kind of advice hasn’t been done yet? Or what advice HAS been done? Any advice that you think we should do? XP

Elizabeth
                              @that_writer_girl_99

@dekreel Whatever you want!

Rochellaine
                                @rochellaine
                                  • Total Posts: 3322

@that_writer_girl_99 I finally came up with something. 🙂

I think science fiction worldbuilding shouldn’t be as complicated as a lot of us try to make it.  When writing science fiction, wouldn’t it be simpler to pick one specific scientific interest which is the basis for your story, and then have the rest of the story be more normal?  That would keep the readers more grounded and help them focus on the important parts of the book rather than getting bogged down in a whole different world with new terminology and strange machines which really don’t have much to do with the plot.

If the plot is about mind control, you don’t need to have your characters flying around in hovercraft.  They can drive cars.  Hovercraft are really cool, but they will distract from the interesting and plot-important aspects of the mind control science.

This would help the science fiction genre to feel more realistic, and define the differences between it and the fantasy genre, with which it often merges.  Science fiction should be more about unusual or new technology than about a whole different world in which to live.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >