Be in Our Newsletter!!

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions Be in Our Newsletter!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    PrincessFoo
    @princessfoo
      • Total Posts: 194

Thanks for tagging me @dekreel

@that_writer_girl_99

This is more for fantasy or sci-fi. If you have something in your world that is different than the real world, you should think out how it will impact every part of your storyworld, as much as possible. It is better to have fewer, well-thought out changes, than many small, shallow changes.

For example, if you have dragons, even if they don’t actually ever show up in the story, it will still impact your story world. There may be an old and important league of dragon hunters. They may not ever physically show up in the book, their mere presence adds depth and character to the world. Or, the MCs could meet a crazy old dragon hunter by the side of the road, who constantly talks about “the good old days” when merely being a dragon hunter granted you the best spot in the tavern.

The most important thing to remember is to go deeper, not wider, when creating a story world.

Elizabeth
      @that_writer_girl_99
        • Total Posts: 1819

I love that @princessfoo!

Thank you so much, guys! Remember, any topic is welcome, so don’t feel like you have to wait on me to okay a topic! Share anything that comes to mind! @dekreel @jenwriter17 @lady-iliara

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Anonymous
          • Total Posts: 95

@that_writer_girl_99

believe I missed this! The big topic I can think of (which I am just learning) is the difference of show don’t tell. How do we do that? What does that look like? What is telling and what is showing? How can I make my writing show and not tell?

These are the questions I was asking myself until yesterday when I received an email advertising a show don’t tell course. Immediately I signed up and later started a thread called “The Show Don’t Tell Rule” in the hopes that I could get help in clarifying and sharing the info I had learned.

So how and what does that look like? Showing is using more descriptive emotion to bring the environment on your page to life. Rather than telling about it you are describing it so that your reader can understand it better. Telling keeps your reader from experiencing the story in a personal way.

What does that look like? Take the sentence

John walked through the hall.

That is me telling you something. Telling is stating a fact.

This would be showing; John stepped forward into the great hall with arched ceilings as old and venerable as a forest. As his feet brushed the floor, tiny clouds of grey dust billowed up and stung his nose like fire. A-choo. He stopped short and winced as echoes like battering rams pounded his ears.

Disclaimer: The above examples ARE NOT my own they are actually the ones that Daeus used in his Show don’t tell course (I recommend you sign up ASAP).

Hope this post helps!

Elizabeth
          @that_writer_girl_99

Alright, folks! The first newsletter is in the books! Thanks you, everyone, for sharing your advice! @aislinn-mollisong is this week’s winner, but submit more advice for a chance to see your name in next weeks’ email!

Joy
            @dekreel
              • Total Posts: 2304

Congratulations, @aislinn-mollisong!

@that_writer_girl_99
                Let’s see……

How to Get Inspired to Write when you’re Stuck:

1. Take notes. That’s the left-brained thing to do. I would take notes on the plotline and the characters’ motivations to let yourself know how exactly things are going to turn out for them, and how they react.
              2. Listen to music. And go with your song preferences, too! The more the music inspires you, the more your brain will be cleared up to write! If you need MY opinion, I love instrumental music. Especially soundtracks because they were designed to tell a story. So it’s really cool to set my stories to these songs. Music helps keep my brain from getting distracted from my writing, and it aids a bit in daydreaming out my plotline.
              3. That leads me to daydreaming. Daydreaming is a super fun way to visualize my characters and what they’re doing. As a visual thinker, I find it helpful because then I can actually see what exactly is happening in a particular scene, and can then conclude whether it was logical or not, and then alter it accordingly.

And THAT is how I get inspired to write when I’m stuck!

You can pronounce it however you want.

Elizabeth
              @that_writer_girl_99

@dekreel Thanks for sharing!

Jessi Rae
                @jessi-rae
                  • Total Posts: 250

This is really cool! Unfortunately, I personally am not great at coming up with advice… Maybe I’ll think of something at some point, though. 😀

Elizabeth
                  @that_writer_girl_99

@jessi-rae no worries! Plenty of time left if you want to be Tuesday’s chosen one.

Kylie
                    @kballen
                      • Total Posts: 65

@that_writer_girl_99 I will be the first to admit that I am not the best at giving advice, but here goes….

How I Get Out Of A Slump:

I listen to my younger sisters play, or a random conversation. This might seem slightly stalkerish to you, but trust me, it works, well, only if you have younger siblings that play, hmmmm….. Anyway, I hope this helps and isn’t actually a terrible idea.

Harry Potter forever!!!!

Elizabeth
                      @that_writer_girl_99

Hey all!

Check your inboxes, because the next newsletter is out! @princessfoo took the stage this week, with her lovely advice–congrats!

Want to be in next weeks’ newsletter? Drop your advice here and take your shot! @dekreel @graciegirl @rochellaine @dragon-snapper

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal
                          • Total Posts: 1013

@That_writer_girl_99 I finally just saw this, and realized that you tagged me right from the get-go. For some reason, I didn’t get the notification. *kicks technology*

But This. Is. COOL! If I can ever get any of the tid-bits I’ve learned organized properly, I will definitely return.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Elizabeth
                          @that_writer_girl_99

Alright, folks! Friday is here, which means the next newsletter is just around the corner! But don’t worry, you can still get your advice into the newsletter! Just drop your advice here!

@ethryndal
                            @kballen @livgiordano @rochellaine

LivGiordano
                            @livgiordano
                              • Total Posts: 86

Okay…*takes a deep breath* *thinks hard* There should be something I can share.

Let everything inspire you:

As a writer, I observe things. Like everything. Whether it be how the the streetlight catches the glimmer of the puddles, or what it feels like to be literally freezing, longing for a warm house to step inside of. It’s amazing how much inspiration lies in just everyday things. Be on the watch for it. Carry around a notebook, and make notes of anything interesting, and later use that in your writing.

Stuff will catch my eye, like the way the dead leaves are clinging onto a certain tree, even when we are already well into winter. I would use that as a simile, of not wanting to let go of something that should have been gone a long time ago.

When you come across something, that you think would be a good story idea, or just inspires you, write it down! Or store it in your mind, if you will remember it later.

Something I recently started is a story jar. When something inspires me, I write it down and stick it in the jar. And I’m pretty sure it will fill up. Then when my writing well is dry, I can fish through all those ideas, and most likely come up with something that will get me back to writing again.

www.livforhim.wordpress.com

Elizabeth
                              @that_writer_girl_99

Thank you so much for sharing! @livgiordano

Elizabeth
                                @that_writer_girl_99

Hi all! This week’s “winner” was @livgiordano !! Drop your advice here for another chance to see your advice in our newsletter!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >