Battle Power

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Fantasy Battle Power

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Hope Ann
    @hope
      • Total Posts: 1092

So…I need some help. Or at least I wanted to see if any of you had ideas.

Basically, I’m trying to figure out the climax of a fantasy I’m writing. The main good guy and main bad guy are battling it out in underground caverns while a battle rages outside. While there isn’t magic in this story, there is ancient power/the Prince’s power. The MC has a shield which can’t be dented and the bad guy as an ancient pear which doesn’t break. And they are fighting around the source of some powerful, healing, energy-giving fountains. Now, the battle outside needs to hing on what happens with this two person battle inside, but I’m not sure how to do that. In modern movies, the enemies are quite often drones, so after the personal battle, the MC can shut them down or get them to shoot one another. In other stories, like Eragon, the bad guy is controlling his warriors with magic and so when he dies they scatter. But I don’t have magic of that sort here and no fantasy drones. My question is, do you have any ideas about how the fight between the two kings can effect the battle one way or another.

My only idea so far is that they can somehow draw power from the water with their weapon and channel it to their men. Renewed strength at that point in the battle could make the difference between winning and losing, but I’m not sure how dramatic that idea is and how well it would work…

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Greta
      @gretald
        • Total Posts: 450

@hope, I’m not sure if this is what you’re thinking, but here’s an idea: when the battle between the MC and the villain is over and the villain’s men find out that their leader is dead, they could just run. That’s usually what happens at the end of battles…the men are really fighting for their leader, and when the leader’s gone, they’ve got no one to fight for.
        Was that of any help? 😛

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

Hey, I recognize this! 😉

And…

the bad guy as an ancient pear which doesn’t break.

*strokes chin with faint twinkle in eyes* I’m trying to imagine Keros fighting with an ancient pear that doesn’t break… or better yet, Keros as an ancient pear that doesn’t break. I think I’m failing. *cue hysterical laughter* That was supposed to be has an ancient spear, was it not?

Here’s an idea, though… why not bring back one of the symbols from the first part of the book? (For all other forumers reading this, I’ve read the book, so I’m not just talking gibberish 😉 ). Why not bring back the King’s Horn, or something? Why not have something about the sound of the King’s Horn striking fear into the hearts of His enemies and scattering them over the face of the earth? You could have Keros misinterpret the prophecy to think that the Horn would scatter the enemies of whoever blew it, not the King’s enemies… I don’t know, thoughts? I’m just thinking out loud here.
          It would be a nice thread to bring back— tie it all together.

Fighting in a cave… this sounds better already @hope! 😀

Hope Ann
          @hope

@gretald That’s not a bad idea…except the bad guy’s army won’t know he’s dead. At leas, they won’t see it, so I don’t think that will work. I want something more than common fleeing.

And yes, @Kate-Flournoy, it is a spear. (A SPEAR, EVERYONE, NOT A PEAR) And it’s too late to go back and edit the post. ;(

The horn, hmm. Possibly, though for the scene to have the most power, there really does need to be something Keros could do there which would defeat and destroy his enemies if he won. The prophecy says the shield and spear will clash and that clash needs to effect the outcome in the battle more than just killing one or the other of the characters…

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Hope Ann.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@hope Could the water actually physically come to the good guy’s army? Like, could it shoot out of the earth in a huge geyser and scatter its spray all over them?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Hope Ann
              @hope

Water spraying on the army…I suppose that’s a possibility. Though considering how close the fight it, it would logically get on soldiers of both sides; except that it would be a miraculous event already, so water landing on one soldier and not another shouldn’t be too strange. I don’t know…

Ivy Rose
                @ivy-rose
                  • Total Posts: 102

@hope Sorry, no amazing ideas here, but the “ancient pear that doesn’t break” made me laugh out loud.

What book is this? I don’t think I’ve read it yet…but I’m thinking I need to!!! 🙂

Anna Brie
                  @anna-brie
                    • Total Posts: 312

The Final Clash.

I just read the battle again and I suppose it could do with something more.

Hope Ann
                    @hope

@Ivy-rose It’s The Final Clash.

My sister is of the opinion I should have the whole battle underground; but 50,000 soldiers? There would have to almost be an underground city for that; something which I don’t have room for in this book. Perhaps just a hundred or so on each side… But it still boils down to the two characters; the shield and the spear.

Anna Brie
                      @anna-brie
                        • Total Posts: 312

Underground and what, the roof falls in?

Hope Ann
                        @hope

I don’t know. Besides, where would all the light be coming from? 🙂

Hope Ann
                          @hope

Currently I’m thinking about something along the lines of a tremor though the ground, light breaking though the darkening clouds in the shape of the King’s Sign (does that seem cheesy or cool?) and glinting off the shield of the MC high above the battle. A spirit of fear will trouble the enemy and new energy will sweep though the good ranks. Though that still doesn’t tell me what the two characters are fighting for or over. But any thoughts about my aforementioned reaction?

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy
                              • Total Posts: 3976

All of these ideas are interesting… hey, you might try combining them @hope. First off, you could have a misinterpreted prophecy regarding the King’s Horn for the whole book, that way everyone thinks that whoever blows it is the one whose enemies will be stricken down. That would keep the tension when E and K are fighting over it, and the realization that no, no matter who blows it it only saves those who belong to the King, (and the King is in control even when all seems lost) could be the cinching factor in E’s arc.
                              Then when/if K blows the Horn, you could have the roof of the cave break open and collapse inward (preferably without squishing the current occupants 😛 ), the water burst up and flood the battlefield (and there might could be something about the water being healing only to those belonging to the King, and poison to those who oppose Him) and the clouds break open with the King’s sign. Now when that happens, the light from the broken clouds could fall on the Shield of Faith, and the runes on the Shield’s surface could start glowing with a blinding light.
                              Also, when/if K blows the horn and the clouds break open and the Shield starts glowing or whatever, you could have K’s spear shatter in his hands, thus fulfilling the prophecy about the Shield and Spear. ????????

Forgive the mindless rambling. 😛

BlueJay
                              @bluejay
                                • Total Posts: 1622

This just keeps making me think of Prince Caspian and the underground fight. That scene is done so well, with Caspian and Peter counting. Maybe there is something there that will help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              >