Audiobooks (and all the jazz)

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Book Discussions Audiobooks (and all the jazz)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christine Eaton
    @christi-eaton
      • Total Posts: 306

Hey, all my forum peeps!

First off, wow I need to get on here more because you all are my favorite, I hope you know that.

Anyway, I recently got this audiobook app called Hoopla through my library system (Because its free and free things are cool) also audiobooks are one of my favorite ways to read. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had any favorite audiobooks? Because if you do, I want to know about it. I like recommendations.

And I’ll just tag some of the peoples because why not: @kate-flournoy @daeus @that-writer-girl-99 @catwing @dekreel @mariposa

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Mariposa Aristeo
      @mariposa
        • Total Posts: 335

@christi-eaton I’m afraid I can’t recommend any since I’ve never listened to audiobooks. 🙈 Being an introvert, I retain things better by reading rather than by listening. 🙂

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

No recommendations from me, although seeing you post on the forum may or may not have just made me faint. 😉

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

MNValentine
          @mnvalentine
            • Total Posts: 123

Hm… I don’t listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I do know a couple, maybe. I don’t know what genres you like, so I’ll make some random suggestions…

The Focus on the Family Chronicles of Narnia are good, but they are actually radio drama, not audiobooks, and I think our library system doesn’t have them, so yours might not either. Also a book called The Fast and the Furriest, which is absolutely hilarious. I think it may have bad language in it, though, I haven’t heard it in a while. It’s about an un-athletic kid and his fat dog going in for dog agility. The Lunar Chronicles are great on audiobook, but they are a little violent and have some seriously soppy ‘romance’. No bad language or anything particularly inappropriate though, and she has some great world-building. These are sci-fi retellings of fairy tales in a dystopian, space travel society where Earth is in battle with the people who colonized the moon and now have magic powers. Also, if you’re a Harry Potter person, the Jim Dale versions are awesome.

Like I said, don’t know what you like, so I was just throwing out random suggestions…maybe helpful, maybe not.

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

MNValentine
            @mnvalentine
              • Total Posts: 123

Some other things to look for that I remembered after posting – Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess. Okay, I’ll stop making suggestions now.

Silence! Silence everyone, for the king's speech!

Daeus
              @daeus
                • Total Posts: 4238

@christi-eaton Sorry. I like audiobooks, but prefer reading in paper or kindle.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

Which is to say I have no suggestions, unfortunately.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Rochellaine
                  @rochellaine
                    • Total Posts: 3322

@christi-eaton Jim Weiss does some very enjoyable versions of G. A. Henty’s books.  However, he does edit them to ensure they can be heard by children, which some might think is a good thing, and others a bad thing. 🙂 (I usually prefer the unabridged versions.)

I don’t listen to audiobooks much, but when I do I go to librivox.org for free public domain audiobooks which are read by volunteers.  I’ve heard some very good recordings there.

"Sylvester - Sylvester!"

Christine Eaton
                    @christi-eaton
                      • Total Posts: 306

@that_writer_girl_99 Haha, please don’t faint on my account.

@mnvalentine
                      Yes, those audio dramas are some of my favorite. I think I own all of their radio theater. I have read the Lunar Chronicles. They are fun. But I read them before Winter came out so I never read that one, sadly. Yessss, Jim Dale is the best reader.

@daeus
                      sad days.

@rochellaine
                      Cool! Thanks for the tip.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    >