Another Question

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Plotting Another Question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Snapper
    @dragon-snapper
      • Total Posts: 3515

Heya Kapeefers. This week seems to be the Snapper Invents Topics week.

Another question:

Can you have two villains? It kinda makes the plotline a little weird I know, but can you have, say, for the first half of a book there be one villain and the other half another villain? Or does that really just mess things up?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper

Tagses!

@daeus
        @kate-flournoy (Am I allowed to ask you on this one? 😉 ) @sam-kowal @shannon @emily @daughteroftheking @supermonkey42 @ingridrd @andeverone else

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Elizabeth
        @that_writer_girl_99
          • Total Posts: 1819

Hi!

Honestly, I don’t think having two villains is a problem. Lots of books, TV shows, and movies get away with it. Often, they come at it through an insubordinate/superior light, where one person is just doing what their told based on what their superior instructs, but I’m sure there are other ways you could go about such a thing.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Daeus
          @daeus
            • Total Posts: 4238

@dragon-snapper Sure, though you shouldn’t just stick two stories in one book. The two villains need to have the same goal or attack the same weakness in the protagonist or do anything else that keeps the story coherent.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
            @kate-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 3976

@Dragon-Snapper YAS. THE MORE VILLAINS THE BETTER.

*coughs* Okay, maybe not always… but personally, since I write sprawlingly epic books with dozens of thematic threads and plotlines apiece, I usually have at least two villains. One is usually the head bad guy, but giving him an evil sidekick doesn’t hurt.

Ben Powell
              @supermonkey42
                • Total Posts: 273

@dragon-snapper , Funny you should ask. I think it’s fine (and sometimes best.) My current WIP has two villains, and then three at the end! 😀

In short, I have two villains who are allies and are both fighting the good guys, but then one villain betrays the other, and they start fighting each other. So the good guys think they’re safe, but then a whole other army (of aliens) comes along and attacks everyone, captures one villain and his henchmen, and decimates the planet.

It sounds crazy, but, trust me, it’s better in the book.

So… yeah. It should work if you do it right. 🙂

A Kapeefer for life!
                Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

Louise Fowler
                @perfectfifths
                  • Total Posts: 726

Lots of works have more than one villain. For the BBC series of Robin Hood, they had the Sheriff of Notingham, and Guy of Gisborne. Guy mostly worked for the Sheriff, but he also had his own personal axe to grind with Robin Hood, which didn’t just make him the main villain’s lackey.

Lord of the Rings has both Sauron and Sauraman Again, Sauraman originally wanted to work for/with Sauron, but then he decided to take matters into his own hands and try and get the Ring himself, even going so far as to create his own orc armies (the Urak-hai).

Two villains can add extra threat to the protagonists. Especially if they’re towards the same goal, but against each other, so the protagonists will have threats all around them from different enemies.

Currently reading Les Miserables

NC Stokes
                  @daughteroftheking
                    • Total Posts: 1156

@dragon-snapper

Yes! Have two villains! Have three! Have four!

Ok, maybe don’t take it that far…

But, more than one villain is often a good idea. It keeps your protagonist on his toes. And, you know those crazy authors, they just want to make everything so hard for the hero. Not nice writerses.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Sam Kowal
                    @sam-kowal
                      • Total Posts: 635

@dragon-snapper You’ve already got loads of good tips so I probably can’t say much more, but all I can would say is, Yes 😀 😀

Totally have two villains, if you like

It can help make things a lot more interesting, although it can be harder to write both at once

If I were you, I really wouldn’t make one half one villain and then switch to another one the other half, though. That seems to me that it would be really fragmented. You could have two enemies mentioned, and then FOCUS more on one half and then focus more on another later, but I wouldn’t just completely drop another one halfway, unless its something like a betrayal.

the Ashtown Burials by N.D. Wilson are a great example of having two villains, he has Pheonix a dark scientist and Radu Bey a kind of dark god, and it works quite well together

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                      Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Ingrid
                      @ingridrd
                        • Total Posts: 830

@dragon-snapper  *trips into the room*  W-what they said…

😉

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Snapper
                        @dragon-snapper

*waves to all with thumbs up* Thanks guys!

I’m a little scared at how much you guys like villains… yikes.

loki

😀 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Anonymous
                            • Total Posts: 859

@dragon-snapper, well, I’m late, but I don’t think that two villains would be a problem. Not at all.

Sam Kowal
                            @sam-kowal
                              • Total Posts: 635

@dragon-snapper 😀 XD I didn’t see that bit about you being scared… *Joker laugh* HA HA HA HA HA

*Giarstanornarak tries to melt chair*
                              Also, Daeus has 22 turtles in his signature.

Ethryndal
                              @ethryndal
                                • Total Posts: 1013

Admit it, @Dragon-Snapper… You wouldn’t like us if we weren’t obsessed with villains.

*pokes you with fork**disappears in a swirl of glitter and maniacal cackling*

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

NC Stokes
                                @daughteroftheking
                                  • Total Posts: 1156

@dragon-snapper *wiggles eyebrows* Like villains? Us? Surely you are mistaken. *diabolical laughter that rattles all doors and windows*

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >