Amnesia?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Genre-Writing Sci-Fi Amnesia?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rachelle
    @rachelle
      • Total Posts: 63

@hope
      Very interesting ideas! Sounds like the general advice here is that connecting any of my interesting ideas to my theme is the best route, so I’ll definitely look into that. Thank you! =)

@daeus

Okay, interesting. I will look into ways to introduce my theme early on, but I may try to avoid switching to any POV other than my MC… That could take some intense creative concentration, I guess. =P Thank you!

Hannah R.
      @his-instrument
        • Total Posts: 229

@rachelle
        I really like this idea. If you want to hint at your theme early on, maybe you can just use foreshadowing– events or random thoughts that have a meaning, but the MC doesn’t realize it yet. But I don’t think it’s completely necessary to reveal the theme right away, since the question of justice will come about pretty quickly, and that’s part of the theme. Keep us posted on this one! I want to know how it turns out for you!

YA Fantasy Writer
        Obsessive Character Namer
        Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Rachelle
        @rachelle

@his-instrument
          Thank you! Yeah, I like the idea of subtly revealing the theme… In fact, I think that throughout this book, I’m definitely going to go for a subtle approach. =P

@Everyone
          This idea really intrigues me, because I don’t want it to be just a sappy, everything-is-always-forgiven-and-forgotten-without-consequences type story… I firmly believe in justice and want to show its merits as well, but, in the end it comes back to the cross and the sacrifice made there. It was the epitome of justice and mercy combined. We deserved to die and, as a just God, God couldn’t just let us off without anything. Someone had to pay. So we received mercy in a just way through Jesus’ death.
          That’s what I’m really going for… Not justice vs mercy, but justice with mercy.

Sorry, this is just me thinking out my theme through text. =P Hope it makes some sense.

Mark Kamibaya
          @mark-kamibaya
            • Total Posts: 318

@rachelle I forgot about this thread. Sorry about that. Anyway, I was rereading what you said and here’s what I think:

Scientifically, amnesia basically does erase all your memories. You cannot regain them at all. Regaining them is a Hollywood myth. In that way, your story wouldn’t work.

Also, guilt is a feeling, but it is also a statement. People are declared guilty. All unbelievers are declared guilty whether they feel it or not. So those test subjects are still guilty (in God’s eyes), but they cannot feel it. There’s no sense of remorse.

In order for you to make the story work, I’d personally appeal to the depraved nature of man. Amnesia erases your memories, but there is still some personality that is there (it depends though). In that way, you could have your test subjects deemed a “success.” They’re reintegrated into society. Then they do the exact same crimes again. And this time it’s easy. Really easy.

So that’s my take on it. Tell me if there’s a problem with my take on it or if my take created more plot problems. If you want to discuss this in fuller detail, just ask for my email. I always forget that these threads exist. 😛

I blog on story and spiritual things at mkami.weebly.com

Mark Kamibaya
            @mark-kamibaya

Oh, and here @rachelle

Rachelle
              @rachelle

@mark-kamibaya
                No prob! Thanks for finding it again. =P

Ahhh, I see that this is science I need to do some more study on… XP I’d read/heard somewhere that there were multiple kinds of ‘amnesia’ and most were only temporary memory loss, but I’ll look into it further and try to sift facts from myths. Since my book is futuristic and they’re using a drug to erase/alter the memories of the criminals, maybe I can find some wiggle room with theoretical sciences. =P

Yes, that makes sense. It’s sort of what I’m intending to do and the whole reason the project is declared a failure. The criminals are tested during their memory loss, and it is discovered that they still tend towards those crimes and still aren’t innocent even without their memories. I have them regaining their memories so that the criminals themselves can see how they haven’t changed and really start to feel the guilt as well.
                Do you think this story would be better overall if they never regain their memories? Might it work better if they keep doing crimes and realize their guilt without ever remembering what they did before? That’s definitely a thought…

Haha, okay. I am definitely interested in discussing this in more detail if you’re game. That is, if you see this again. XP
                (Btw, I’ll check out that link when I get better internet access)

Mark Kamibaya
                @mark-kamibaya

@rachelle Hey, I remembered to check back on this thread!

I’d be willing to discuss this in more detail. So, if you want, just head over to http://mkami.weebly.com/contact.html and send me a message.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                >