All about villains

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters All about villains

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @graciegirl
      • Total Posts: 889

@Jenali @Ethryndal By all means, fangirl away! I’ve never been able to see either of the Thors all the way through unfortunately (😭), but I did see a few awesome scenes from the Dark World with Loki. He’s one of my fave villains too, and I love it so much when he turns in to Cap! I practically fell out of my seat with laughter.

“I can feel the righteousness surging! Hey, wanna have a rousing discussion about truth, honor, patriotism?” Aghh, I’m dying…. 😆

I always feel like I’m gonna cry with happiness when two characters who were formerly at odds have to work together. It is so much fun!! That’s what I really loved about The Dark World.
      I actually hadn’t thought about humanizing Z by giving him quirks. Sounds like it will be fun to work on! Thank you both for the tips. I am so pumped to get to work on Z after seeing all these suggestions! 😀

*is probably geeking out about something*

Shaina
      @jenali
        • Total Posts: 142

@graciegirl That is what we are here for, being helpful and fan girling. 🙂

The Scattered Writer

Kate Flournoy
        @kate-flournoy
          • Total Posts: 3976

@Ethryndal NOOOOOOOOO NOW IT’S GONNA BE STUCK WITH ME!!! *runs out of the room clutching her head and screaming*

Gracie
          @graciegirl

@Kate-Flournoy No worries! *hands you a tissue box* 😉

I really like Captain Barbossa as well, but it’s my dad who thinks he is the best ever. Another character he’d probably like to have over for dinner. XD And he is another example of what I mentioned to @Jenali and @Ethryndal. On Stranger Tides was another instance of two former enemies banding together for a common goal. It was the highlight of the movie, for sure. 😀

I, uh….*cringes to herself* I’ve actually never read any Dickens. 😅
            But both of those bad guys sound really cool. I’m partial to the fanatics myself, and who doesn’t love an amazingly creepy villain? 😜

Emma Flournoy
            @emma-flournoy
              • Total Posts: 1352

The villains Kate listed. And everyone else has said it all. 😛
              I seriously, seriously, seriously love Javert from Les Miserables, but I’m not sure he qualifies as ‘villain’.
              Oh, and Smaug is pretty great too. 😀
              Oh, and HUMPERDINK!

Gracie
              @graciegirl

@Emma-Flournoy Ah, Smaug. A shining classic amongst villains! 😀 I especially loved his movie version, almost more than the one in the book, in fact.
                I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a villain named Humperdink, what book is he from?
                Yes, Les Mis is on the reading list so I shall meet Javert soon! (Hopefully 😉 )

Snapper
                @dragon-snapper
                  • Total Posts: 3515

@graciegirl Another cool villain is Shen from Kung Fu Panda 2.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Gracie
                  @graciegirl

@Dragon-Snapper I’m afraid I’ll have to take your word for it. 😁 I haven’t seen any of the Kung Fu Pandas.

Gracie
                    @graciegirl

@everyone Quick question, what are your feelings on disguised villains? Where you didn’t know they were the villain till, say, the beginning of the Third Act.
                      Do you like being able to guess his true identity earlier on? Or have it slap you in the face, and when you go back you can see some foreshadowing you may have not noticed the first time through?

Ethryndal
                      @ethryndal
                        • Total Posts: 1013

@Graciegirl *cackles until something gets stuck in her throat* Ahem. Yes. They’re fun. I love being shocked out of my seat. But I absolutely hate it when authors make you love a character, and THEN he turns out to be the villain, so I think there’s a very tiny (and complicated) space of grey that these types of villains must fit into; they can’t be obvious, but you can’t like ’em either. Suzanne Collins did a very good job of that in her book, Gregor the Overlander.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Gracie
                        @graciegirl

@Ethryndal Cool! I think that is the direction Z is headed. Plus, I love plot twists myself, so I really want to give readers a bit of a thrill in some way!

Emma Flournoy
                          @emma-flournoy

@GracieGirl Yes! Movie Smaug was so awesome too.
                            You haven’t seen The Princess Bride?! 😮 I am so sorry.
                            That’s Humperdinck’s.

Yesss, that’s wonderful. 😀

Northerner
                            @northerner
                              • Total Posts: 244

@GracieGirl, Wingfeather Saga. Really good villain with really good motivations, and really good death scene.
                              Also in the Wingfeather Saga, a really really really good disguised villain. You love him up until he’s revealed and then you want to kill him in horrible ways for all the evil he’s done while making people think he’s good. Oof. Traitors.
                              I second @Emma-Flournoy about Humperdinck. At first Humperdinck seems like a pretty normal flat villain, and then you start to see quirks he has, and other things that make him unique. And, of course, he’s fun to make fun of. “I believe everything is a trap,” he says to his guard. “That’s why I’m still alive.” Actually, Your Highness, you’re still alive because you have a dozen armed men following you around everywhere. Don’t let your head get much bigger, or you’ll give that horse serious back problems when you mount it — which, given how heavily you flump into the saddle, you’re probably already doing :p. But Vizzini is also a good antagonist. He’s quite logical, even if it’s a somewhat misled logic. And, of course, very quotable.

OH and did I mention Wolfgang Dankworth? He’s a splendid example of carrying a good motivation much too far. He’s pretty much what happens when you believe the end justifies the means.

Gracie
                              @graciegirl

@Emma-Flournoy Oh! Yes, I’ve seen the Princess Bride, not in a while though. I just didn’t connect the name. 😅

@Northerner
                                The Wing Feather Saga is also on my reading list. (Sheesh, that thing must be a mile long by now. XD) But it just got bumped a little higher up after hearing about all that. I guess I need to study my disguised villains if that’s the route I’m gonna take. And I can’t pass up a good death scene, right? 😉 I don’t know any character named Wolfgang Dankworth, what is he from?

Emma Flournoy
                                @emma-flournoy

@Northerner Yes, Humperdinck and Vizzini are both amazing. And extremely quotable. (We do the ‘it’s possible, pig’ (though that’s Westley I guess. To Humperdinck. No matter.) so often in this house when someone asks a question. It pops up everywhere.)
                                  And WOLFGANG YES! I didn’t know you’d read that. @GracieGirl it’s @Writefury’s serial story on her blog https://writefury.wordpress.com/ — Blank Mastermind. It is so awesome and you must read it.
                                  And you should watch TPB sometime again too. 😀

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >