All about villains

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters All about villains

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @graciegirl
      • Total Posts: 889

@Aratrea Awesome! I’ll be on the lookout for it. 🙂

*is probably geeking out about something*

Snapper
      @dragon-snapper
        • Total Posts: 3515

@graciegirl Wait….you’ve read the False Prince? Why didn’t you tell me!?

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@graciegirl Need I say who my favorite villain is?

I also like Luigi Vampa. His backstory is gripping and tragic, though he’s not technically a villain.

Er…Ooh! I can’t remember the guy’s name, but the villain in K.M.Wieland’s Dreamlander is really good. He’s an excellent foil character to the MC plus a very interesting character for his own sake.

I think one of the biggest elements to a villain is their relationships with others. That’s the core reason I love Kylo Ren so much. He interacts on a very personal level with everyone he comes in contact with.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
          @graciegirl

@Daeus No need. 😉 Ben is awesome, we’ll leave it at that.

I haven’t gotten far enough into The Count of Monte Cristo to meet Luigi Vampa. (We just save M. Morrel from bankruptcy where I am.)
            Ah, yes. Dreamlander. She mentioned that book a lot in her Helping Writers Become Authors trilogy which I just finished. The premise sounded interesting. I’ll have to check it out.
            Relationships make my world go ’round in fiction. XD And that is what sets Ben apart from other fictional villains. I have an entire story premise that grew from just one relationship. I didn’t have the characters for a while. I just knew I wanted two people to interact with each other in this way and BAM a story bursts on to the scene.

Speaking of young Mr. Solo, I saw this the other day. I think it gets us one step closer to that SW 8 ending you wanted. It looks like it might get Finn out of the picture as far as Rey is concerned. They’re opening up the door for dear Ben. *crosses fingers and hopes for the best*

Gracie
            @graciegirl

@Dragon-Snapper My deepest apologies! Must’ve slipped my mind. 😛 I read the Ascendance Trilogy about a year ago. It was a lot of fun! (Though the False Prince is definitely the best book of the three in my opinion.) Have you read the rest of the series? I don’t want to give spoilers just in case you haven’t, but I thought the ending was very sweet. I love stories where you can look back at the end and think, “Oh, wow. Look how far we’ve come!” And you’re not exactly happy at the end, you’re satisfied. Bittersweet is my favorite flavor. 😉

“Hail His Majesty, the scourge of my life!!”
              That is my absolute favorite Conner Quote. XD
              And doesn’t Sage have some killer snark? I can’t remember much off the top of my head except that I spent a lot of time laughing when I was reading the books. 😀

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@graciegirl I have read the other books, but the first one definitely has the best story line. However, I think my favorite is the second one, just because of the pirates. 😛 And I didn’t like the third as much…the ending, *sighs* I liked Mott; besides Sage, he was my favorite character.
                Oh yes. Never met anyone quite as snarky as him. 😛

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Elizabeth
                @that_writer_girl_99
                  • Total Posts: 1819

I read the False Prince a few months ago, and I know I loved it, but I think I’ll have to read it again to remember why… @dragon-snapper

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Elizabeth.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Shaina
                  @jenali
                    • Total Posts: 142

@graciegirl My favorite villain, ummmm. You mean other than Loki? 😛
                    Loki is one of my favorites, the reasons he does what he does are just so complicated! And the interaction between him and Thor, so great.
                    What I think makes villains interesting is the reason why they do what they do. The more deep the reasoning is, the more memorable the villain will be.
                    This is just my personal opinion, so take it or leave it, but I think it is neat when a villain has a quirk. Is he snarky? Does he have a fascination with a certain animal? Is he bald and has to wear a wig? Those quirks will help your villain stand out from crowd.

The Scattered Writer

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal
                      • Total Posts: 1013

@Jenali YES! Someone who shares my Loki appreciation! @Graciegirl Loki is definitely my favorite villain. I like villains who are kind of relatable, not just world power hungry freaks. The thing about Loki that is so intriguing is that in many ways, he’s more rootworthy than Thor. I wanted Loki to succeed more than Thor because of the ways he’d been harmed in the past, the way he’d been shoved under the bed while his brother got all the attention. In a way, Loki had been more mistreated than the hero, by the hero. Everything he did was just to prove to their father that he was worthy of being his son. So you could say, he had the right motivation, but he let his desire take over rational thought and did some pretty stupid things to achieve his goal. This makes him an interesting character, and is also why his redemption would be so awesome. (Please, Ragnorak?)

And like Shaina said, quirks. Because no person, evil or no, is completely devoid of any personal preference or habit, and when you give them to a villain, he seems more real, and not just a stereotypical overlord.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Shaina
                      @jenali

@ethryndal I agree on everything you said! Isn’t Loki the most amazing villain?!? I am looking forward to Ragnarok just to see him again. 😛 One of my favorite things about Loki is that he is sarcastic, and I love sarcastic characters.
                        Ok, fan girl flailing over. 🙂

The Scattered Writer

Ethryndal
                        @ethryndal

@Jenali Fangirl flailing NOT over. *flails* Yes, the SARCASM! And he’s so charmingly…evil. It’s weird. And funny, because he, the villain, was pretty much the ONLY well developed character in the first Thor. 😀

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Shaina
                          @jenali

@ethryndal It’s been a while since I watched the first Thor, but I think I agree with you…. And you must admit, he was the single greatest character in Thor Dark World. All of the scenes with his sarcasm had me rolling in the aisles!

The Scattered Writer

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal

@Jenali Yeah, it’s actually been a while since I’ve seen them too, (Vid-Angel, where have you gone?) but that was the one thing that always stood out to me. And YES to the Dark World. When he and Thor where on that ship thingy, and he kept making cracks… “Good job, Thor, you just decapitated your great-grandfather…” My mother and I quote that scene so much.

@Graciegirl
                              Okay, I’m done spamming your topic. Hopefully. 😀

Kate Flournoy
                              @kate-flournoy
                                • Total Posts: 3976

@GracieGirl dah! I missed this and now everyone’s said everything! *heartbroken sobbing*

Well… a few villains to add to the list… (Besides Kylo Ren. Don’t start me. Really).
                                Chauvelin, from The Scarlet Pimpernel. Totally evil, but somehow very human, and you gotta admire his dedication even if you hate his cause. He keeps trying even though the hero thwarts him at every turn, and not only thwarts him, but humiliates him in the process.
                                Captain Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean… not a brilliant villain, but his motivation is great because he was basically just fighting for a normal life and the right to die if he wanted to. 😛
                                Mr. Tulkinghorn from Charles Dickens’ Bleak House. I tend to favor the fanatics. XD
                                Also Rigau from Dickens’ Little Dorrit. He totally takes the cake for creepiest villain ever.

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal

@Kate-Flournoy *cue creepy music* “Qu’est-ce qui passe ici si tard…”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >