A question for anyone about elves

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A question for anyone about elves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Total Posts: 115

I just wanted anyone’s opinion on this. I have elves in my book. When I say elves, do you think tall or short? These are not Santa’s elves, more like LotR kind of elves. Also, do you think pointy ears?

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

@Allison-Grace depends. What’s the tone of their culture? Small and delicate? Merry? Grave? Both? Wise, or simple? Shrewd, or peaceful? Really you could make anything work, but that’s one thing to consider. 😉

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

Tall, yes. Pointy ears, probably. I like elves to be generally good, but a bit aloof. Grave in council but merry in company. Basiclaly, I like Tolkien’s elves and I don’t want anybody to reimagine them. If they do, they should create a totally different creature.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Gracie
          @graciegirl
            • Total Posts: 889

Yeah, I always picture Tolkien elves whenever anyone mentions elves. Tall, pointy ears. But I do agree with Kate that their appearance should probably reflect their culture a bit. For instance, I don’t think a mischievous, lazy-summer-days kinda culture fits well with Tolkien’s “version” which is more along the line of regal, wise, and aloof yet capable of deep warmth.

*is probably geeking out about something*

Anonymous
              • Total Posts: 115

Ok, they are huntsmen of the woods. They are divided into different clans and keep mostly to themselves. They don’t associate much with humans, and look down on those who do. They don’t like humans.

Thanks for your ideas, guys!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            >