A Name For Rodyn

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters A Name For Rodyn

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Northerner
    @northerner
      • Total Posts: 244

@Ethryndal, I had a thought this morning about the staff — Robin Hood usually has a Little John, and Little John’s weapon of choice is a quarterstaff. . . so that could work perfectly. 🙂

Ethryndal
      @ethryndal
        • Total Posts: 1013

@Northerner OK, the writing’s on the wall with this one.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Ethryndal
        @ethryndal

Quick poll: Someone told me the name ‘Rodyn’ made them think of ‘rodent’. I told them that actually, Rodyn means marsh, so… 😉 BUT I don’t want his name to conjure a picture of every kind of wrong. So tell me, does Rodyn make you think of rodent?

@Kate-Flournoy
          @Jess @Dragon-Snapper @Northerner @Hope @Daeus @Christi-Eaton @PerfectFifths

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Christine Eaton
          @christi-eaton
            • Total Posts: 306

@Ethryndal It did not until you said something 🙂

But I’m fine with the name, I like it actually. Besides, people are always going to find something little like that. Plus there is no sense changing his name because if you are satisfied with it, there is nothing else that will fit. I thought about changing the name of a pirate character of mine. Her name is Beck, but nothing seemed to fit besides Beck. So Beck is still Beck and I would never change it. 🙂 So keep Rodyn, it’s a lovely name. Besides, maybe the villain can use it and call him Rodent or something.

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

I second that.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
              @dragon-snapper
                • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal Well, it’s not as if you spelled it ‘Roden’ with an ‘e’ because that’s only one letter away from Rodent. Rodyn, for me, is pronounced with the ‘in’ type of sound. And I like @Christi-eaton ‘s idea of the villain using it.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
                @northerner

@Ethryndal, I second what Dragon Snapper said, and besides, thanks to this thread, a few people now associate the name with “rod and staff”.

Emma Flournoy
                  @emma-flournoy
                    • Total Posts: 1352

@Ethryndal Late to the party, but @Christi-Eaton’s right about his name. 🙂

I’m starting to consider Rodyn having several different titles. Like, to the common people, his name would be something that reflects a spark of hope, even though they don’t really know who he is. The villains refer to him as something of a nuisance or a threat. And the people who really know him and are close to him have a title for him that fits his personality a bit more. Like The Fox. Which I really shouldn’t like as much as I do. Maybe it’s because of Robin Hood. 🙂

Just a thought.

That’s a good idea…different names from different groups. Just to let you know though, there’s already a ‘The Fox’. 😛 ‘The Black Fox’ in full, from The Court Jester. Have you seen that? It’s insanely hilarious—one of my favorite ’30-’40s period movies. 😀
                    But yah, fyi.
                    Also I had a thought which I’m not sure where came from and might be stupid (you can be the judge of that) but it seems kinda sweet…not a title, but—I thought his close friends might call him Rody. I know, not what you’re lookin’ for here; but I thought it was funny. 😛

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Emma Flournoy.
                    Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths
                      • Total Posts: 726

@ethryndal I never once thought of rodent when reading Rodyn. 🙂 Also, glad you liked the pun 😉

Currently reading Les Miserables

Sarah Hoven
                      @sarah-h
                        • Total Posts: 669

@ethryndal What about The Marsh Fox? That…..doesn’t look as good as it sounded in my head, actually. Oh well.

Daeus
                        @daeus

@Ethryndal Is there a special area he stays in most of the time like Robin’s Sherwood forest?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Northerner
                          @northerner

@Ethryndal, “colfox” is a word found in Chaucer for a fox with black-tipped fur (they’re quite handsome).

Ethryndal
                            @ethryndal

Whew, that’s a relief! And actually, the person who told me that just said that the name has grown on her since last we talked about it, so I feel reassured. @Christi-Eaton, he is officially Rodent among the villains. I just can’t help it. 😛

@Emma-Flournoy
                              I’ve actually never heard of The Court Jester, maybe I should look into it. 🙂 I love stuff from the ’30–’50s. And Rody…I love that. I really do. There’s this kid (who’s actually the main character) who Rodyn kind of take’s under his wing, and that would be so sweet. Big Brother Rody. And Rody to the Princess Elinier as well, because it’s such an un-princessy thing to call him. I love un-princessy princess’s. 😛 And his best friend/captain/partner-in-crime will definitely call him Rody, and, and– You have brought me great happiness with this one. 🙂

@Sarah-H
                              Ah, the joys of things devised in one’s head. 😛 Sometimes I’ll come up with something SUPER wonderful, and I’ll go to someone and gush about it for twenty minutes before realizing that it’s actually really dumb sounding when put into words. XD Though the Marsh Fox isn’t dumb sounding.

@Daeus
                              Actually, he has his own sort of Sherwood Forest, which I didn’t realize was so like Robin Hood until right now. Oops. It’s named the Dimwood, but unofficially, it goes by the Flaming Forest, due to the fact that the rebels camps out there. It’s probably a little cliche of me to be using fire as a picture of rebellion, but I can’t help it. I like fire. And sparks. And the picture of light in darkness. Etc.

@Northerner
                              Neat, I’ve never heard of that before! Agh, what am I going to do? I’m getting so many great ideas from this thread, and I can only use about three! XO

Daeus
                              @daeus

@ethryndal I’d think that could a good way to form his name. How about:

The Flame of Dimwood
                                The Falcon of Dimwood

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
                                @perfectfifths
                                  • Total Posts: 726

@ethryndal This sounds as if it’s really coming together 🙂 I hope you’ll be letting us read it? 😀 😉

Currently reading Les Miserables

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >