A Name For Rodyn

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Characters A Name For Rodyn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Ethryndal
    @ethryndal
      • Total Posts: 1013

Hello lovely wide world of Kingdom Pen! I have something for you to ponder when you’re not busy:

I have this character named Rodyn. (Yes, people, this is a fantasy. 😛 ) And he’s the dashing young leader of a raggle-tag group of commoners who hide out in the woods and try to sabotage the oppressive government as often as they can, as well as help the suffering people. He’s kind of like a Robin Hood. Take from the rich to give to the poor, and all that stuff.

Now. I’m trying to think of a title for him. Something like Robin Hood, something catchy, a name that the people hold to as a spark of hope in those dark times. And the more I think about it, the more my mind comes up blank. SO, I need suggestions. Any suggestions. My mother suggested Buckethead. So you’re allowed to be wild. I just need something to tickle my mind.

Rodyn is charming, swashbuckling, witty, bold, reckless, and a good leader. He has a particular soft spot for the weak and bullied, due to his past as an abused page boy in the wicked king’s castle.

Now to tag some people. Which I’ve never done before. So if I miss someone important, don’t yell at me. 😛 @kate-flournoy @emma-flournoy @hope @jess @daeus @perfectfifths @northerner @dragon-snapper @Everyone I seriously think a new person should name their tag Everyone.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Kate Flournoy
      @kate-flournoy
        • Total Posts: 3976

Hm… what color does he primarily wear? He could be Red Arrow, or maybe Blue Sword, or… or.. I’m really bad at this. 😛 Brown Boots. XD This is not good. Um… you can really use any color you want coupled with anything associated with him that sounds right. Not knowing tons about him, I couldn’t pick something for him as perfect as you could.

@Ethryndal

Aaaand I cannot resist; my inner language-geek is squeaking for attention. Did you know that the literal translation of Rodyn and any variation on that structure is ‘reeds’, or ‘marsh’? 😀

Jess
        @jess
          • Total Posts: 575

Freedom Rider? The Rogue Knight? Or maybe there is a legend of some hero who saves people, and they start calling Rodyn the legendary hero’s name? @ethryndal

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@ethryndal The Prince of the Forest. Need’s Champion. Little Red Rodyn Hood. My Hero. 😛
            Not Helpful. (that one was for me.)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Snapper.

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Northerner
            @northerner
              • Total Posts: 244

Ohh, I have a character like this! Only you can’t steal his name.

Is Rodyn an official leader of some kind? Then you can start with Captain or something like that.

Or you can go with something the opposite of what he really is. Something the people he terrorizes call him. Like “Dread Pirate Roberts” (no one would be afraid of the Dread Pirate Westley).

Hope Ann
              @hope
                • Total Posts: 1092

@ethryndal I love the word ‘blade’. Like The Black Blade or the Glittering Arrow. Ok, so maybe those aren’t the best. But a cool name with ‘blade’ or ‘arrow’ could be fun.

INTJ - Inhumane. No-feelings. Terrible. Judgment and doom on everyone.

Daeus
                @daeus
                  • Total Posts: 4238

The Blazing Shield

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Christine Eaton
                  @christi-eaton
                    • Total Posts: 306

Well, if he is a rebel maybe you could put a word like “Rebel” in his name, perhaps The Rebel Arrow or something with the word “Renegade”

@ethryndal

Hopefully that can spark something for ya. 🙂 Quite honestly, I’m terrible when it comes to names (especially if they are supposed to sound “cool”) 😉

When you do settle on something you will have to let us all know, I look forward to hearing what you cooked up. 🙂

Theater kid. Currently depressed because I can't stop listening to sad musicals.

Ethryndal
                    @ethryndal

@kate-flournoy @jess @dragon-snapper @hope @daeus @christi-eaton

Yay, all of this is wonderful! Ideas are starting to simmer.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Ethryndal.

INTJ ➸Your friendly neighborhood mastermind. ➸https://thesarcasticelf.wordpress.com/

Louise Fowler
                      @perfectfifths
                        • Total Posts: 726

What about something like “The Angels’ Thief” or “Thief of Angels”? lol, or “Thy Rodyn, Thy Staff, they comfort me” – absolutely not! (me with the punz…. 😛 But I couldn’t resist)

Is he elusive? Like, he helps people, but doesn’t really show himself, so no one knows what he looks like? He could be like “The Invisible Angel” or “The Invisible Guardian” or…. something simple like the Fox, or the Owl or the, I dunno, some sort of nocturnal animal?

Currently reading Les Miserables

Northerner
                        @northerner

@PerfectFifths, that’s a good pun! If he had a friend who was somehow related or compared to a staff, whether his name was related to the word, or he was tall and thin, or very faithful, that would be a fun joke to have in the story (@ethryndal, I hope you don’t hate puns. . .).

Foxes are good animals for someone who’s “charming, swashbuckling, witty, bold, reckless, and a good leader”. Reynard the Fox was a popular trickster in medieval tales — you may know of Chanticleer? Perhaps he could be Rodyn alias Chanticleer.

Louise Fowler
                          @perfectfifths

@northerner The Disney Robin Hood was a fox, and also Nick from Zootopia, and he was very “charming,” witty, bold and reckless 😉

Northerner
                            @northerner

@PerfectFifths maybe it’s been done too many times already? And since he’s already a Robin Hood kind of character. . . Though I am awfully fond of the Disney Robin Hood.

Louise Fowler
                              @perfectfifths

@northerner Lol, I agree, he is a great character – I don’t see anything wrong with making the title of a Robin-Hood-character be a fox (unless the creator of said character didn’t want to of course 😉 ) It’s like a nod to the ones already existing and kinda continuing the tradition *shrugs*

Ethryndal
                                @ethryndal

@Northerner @PerfectFifths Oh, the puns. Seriously, I’m going to put that in about the staff, just as a side joke. And no one will ever really get it but us… XD

And Disney Robin Hood is the BEST ROBIN HOOD EVER. Just sayin’.

I’m starting to consider Rodyn having several different titles. Like, to the common people, his name would be something that reflects a spark of hope, even though they don’t really know who he is. The villains refer to him as something of a nuisance or a threat. And the people who really know him and are close to him have a title for him that fits his personality a bit more. Like The Fox. Which I really shouldn’t like as much as I do. Maybe it’s because of Robin Hood. 🙂

Just a thought.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >