A Fun Way to Get to Know Your Characters

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing General Writing Discussions A Fun Way to Get to Know Your Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Hannah R.
    @his-instrument
      • Total Posts: 229

A friend shared this personality quiz with me, with the intention of me actually using it for myself. Ha, ha. I did use it for myself, but I also found that it is a pretty neat way to get to know your characters. Get into your characters’ heads and answer these questions the way they would answer them. This site is free, and when you finish the quiz, it will give you about ten pages of information on the personality that it determined the quiz-taker to have, including strengths and weaknesses, how the individual handles relationships, career options, and more. I can’t guarantee it to be 100% accurate, but when I took the quiz, its description of my personality was almost creepily spot-on. I also tested the quiz for two of my characters, and it seems to be pretty accurate.
      I hope this is helpful!
      https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

YA Fantasy Writer
      Obsessive Character Namer
      Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Jess
      @jess
        • Total Posts: 575

@his-instrument, This works awesomely for getting to know your characters. Highly recommended. 🙂 (I am a MBTI enthusiast myself…) Did you try it for yourself? I’m really quite curious what other people’s types are, if you don’t mind divulging. 😀

Greta
        @gretald
          • Total Posts: 450

@his-instrument
          YES! I LOVE that website and have used it before for characterization. MBTI is so fascinating. 😉

Kate Flournoy
          @kate-flournoy
            • Total Posts: 3976

@His-Instrument MBTI is my life, so… yeah. 😛

Anna Brie
            @anna-brie
              • Total Posts: 312

@Kate-Flournoy I’m a big MBTI fan. I used to think it was all bunkum, but I have a friend who uses it a lot and I ended up figuring out how it actually works. I’m probably an ENFP.

Anonymous
                • Total Posts: 68

yeeesssss i love mbti!!! i’m an infj mahself. and doing your characters is a great idea. it really helps!

Anne Swiftblade
                @anne-swiftblade
                  • Total Posts: 84

Yes! I had tons of fun with mbti! Can’t wait to put my characters beneath this. I’m infp, by the way 😉

Anne of Lothlorien
                  @anne-of-lothlorien
                    • Total Posts: 440

I’m an ENFP. I haven’t done any of my characters yet, though I know @writefury has done each of her Blank Mastermind people.

ENFP - "One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

Louise Fowler
                    @perfectfifths
                      • Total Posts: 726

I did this, I’m an INFP-A (is the -A significant? XD) a Mediator. I did this on a few my own characters, too, and what came up really seemed to fit them 😀 My brother is amazed how we can do it for our characters, aka, other people (but we created them, so we’d know, right???)

Currently reading Les Miserables

Hannah R.
                      @his-instrument
                        • Total Posts: 229

@Jess I am an ENFJ-A (Protagonist).

@perfectfifths
                        , the “A” means assertive. The alternative is “T,” turbulent.
                        I’ve found that this exercise helps me realize the things I would not have thought of about my characters’ personalities. Like, maybe I feel like I’ve got them figured out pretty well, but then I realize that I wouldn’t have thought they would react in a particular way that the site says they would. It keeps things realistic.

YA Fantasy Writer
                        Obsessive Character Namer
                        Find me at hisinstrumentblog.wordpress.com

Louise Fowler
                        @perfectfifths

@his-instrument Excuse my ignorance 😉 But what is the difference between assertive and turbulent? 🙂

Daeus
                          @daeus
                            • Total Posts: 4238

@perfectfifths Well, Kate’s not here, so I’ll just tell you what she told me. Turbulent just means that while you’re predominantly one type, a lot of the time you’ll act like other types too. The more assertive you are, the more of just one type you are. It seems from what the profile summaries say that turbulent types are actually more turbulent too, but I don’t think that has to be.

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Kate Flournoy
                            @kate-flournoy

@Daeus yep, you got it.

… guys, just had a though. *gasp* Does this make us all psychologists???

Louise Fowler
                              @perfectfifths

@daeus @kate-flournoy Okay, so if you’re turbulent, you act like your personality type, but you also sometimes act like others? XD That’s interesting.

Kate Flournoy
                                @kate-flournoy

@PerfectFifths yes… though the whole personality thing isn’t necessarily about how you act. It’s about the way you think; the way you process information. That generally affects the way you act, but actions are only a symptom.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >