"A Couple of Birds" poem

Home Page Forums Other Art Forms Poetry Poetry Critiques "A Couple of Birds" poem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mallory O’Bier
    @overcomer
      • Total Posts: 550

Hey guys,

Here is a silly little poem I wrote a while back. I’d love to know what you think of it, whether you have any ideas for improvements, etc. I’m just calling it “A Couple of Birds” for now, but if you think of a more appropriate title let me know. 🙂

Thanks! 🙂

P.S. (Just be honest and say so if you don’t like it. I value your feedback.) 🙂

“A Couple of Birds”

By Mallory O’Bier

Today I was regaled
      By the voices of Mr. and Mrs. Bird
      They sang the prettiest air
      I have ever heard

I should have liked to have learned it
      Only I couldn’t understand a word
      When their song was done I clapped
      But thus their displeasure incurred

They flew off refusing me an encore
      So rapidly their wings whirred
      ‘Til they were lost among the trees
      And I looked after them feeling absurd

I’m going to tag a few people. If you’re too busy to reply or don’t want to critique poetry, that’s okay. You won’t hurt my feelings. 😉 If you weren’t tagged but want to join in, go for it! 🙂

@kate-flournoy
      , @daeus , @hope , @jess , @gretald , @winter-rose , @dragon-snapper

Anonymous
        • Total Posts: 1486

@overcomer that’s so cute! I think the last paragraph is lacking (the last line wasn’t working for me) but I’m not a poet so perhaps someone who knows what they are talking about can give a better, more educated opinion. 🙂 I like it though. 🙂

Daeus
        @daeus
          • Total Posts: 4238

@overcomer It’s a nice poem. I did feel that the following lines were a bit bumpy, but otherwise thumbs up.

I should have liked to have learned it
          But thus their displeasure incurred

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Snapper
          @dragon-snapper
            • Total Posts: 3515

@overcomer
            Very nice! I’ve been hearing birds like that all week, and I love it! I’m glad you were able to show that in this poem. 😀

☀ ☀ ☀ ENFP ☀ ☀ ☀

Mallory O’Bier
            @overcomer

Thanks, @dragon-snapper ! I’m glad you liked it. 🙂

@winter-rose , what about that last verse doesn’t work for you? Do you think it’s disjointed?

Hmm … they are a bit on the bumpy side, @daeus . Do you think they could be tweaked and made better? If you have any thoughts on that I’d appreciate it. The hardest part for me when it comes to editing poems … is editing.

I can usually tell they are lacking, sometimes even what they’re missing, but how to actually fix them is the part I struggle with. I usually wind up just staring at them. 😉

Kate Flournoy
              @kate-flournoy
                • Total Posts: 3976

@Overcomer I think it’s adorable and hilarious. It also has some flow problems. The big thing is probably that all of the verses seem to follow a different rhythm, which disconnects them and messes with the ‘oneness’ 😛 of the poem. I would say pick one rhythm and go with it.

Mallory O’Bier
                @overcomer

Thanks, @kate-flournoy . 🙂

Sticking with one rhythm is a good idea, but I probably won’t be able to rewrite it that completely. :/ Still, I’ll see what I can do. 🙂

In a way, three stanzas that each have their own rhythm is a type of rhythm if they have a connection. Maybe if I tweak them a bit it’ll fix the flow problem.

If not, then I’m not too worried about it. Not every poem is meant to be published. This one probably just isn’t good enough. That was one reason why I wanted to show it to you guys, to see if it was worth polishing up or not.

Anonymous
                    • Total Posts: 1486

@overcomer Yes, I think it is a little disjointed. That’s probably what I felt.

Ingrid
                    @ingridrd
                      • Total Posts: 830

Great poem, @overcomer. I echo what everyone else said, but I noticed a few things in the last stanza.

They flew off refusing me an encore
                      So rapidly their wings whirred
                      ‘Til they were lost among the trees

Maybe cut out “and” in the last line. I feel like “refusing me an encore” could be first so that it would say, “Refusing me an encore, they flew off” (or maybe “away” would sound better). If you don’t like that idea, just ignore me. 😉 😛
                      Anyway, great job! 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Ingrid.

A dreamer who believes in the impossible...and dragons. (INFJ-T)

Mallory O’Bier
                      @overcomer

Thanks, @winter-rose . I think you’re right. 🙂

Those are good ideas, @ingridrd ! I’ll definitely give them and try and see. Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      >