Home Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques 2nd person mystery?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Josiah DeGraaf 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Daeus
    @daeus
    • Total Posts: 3905

Hi KeePers,

What do you think about me writing a 2nd person short detective story?

The twist is that the POV character would be both the detective and *spoiler* the criminal.

I have no idea what the plot would be. ๐Ÿ˜›

Am I crazy or is this actually conceivable?

Louise Fowler
    @perfectfifths
    • Total Posts: 545

@daeus It sounds really interesting. The only experience I have with second-person is Choose Your Own Adventure stories.

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong
    • Total Posts: 255

I would love this! I would even attempt it myself, except, you know, NaNoWriMo.

Aislinn Mollisong: Hero!
    "BRING IT ON!!!"

Emily
    @emily
    • Total Posts: 1058

@daeus Yikes. Second person is really hard. I personally find it a little bit tricky to understand compared to the other persons. Unlike Aislinn, I definitely wouldn’t try it myself. But then again, I’m no risk taker in the area of writing. I don’t like the idea of starting something and never finishing it. XD It must be an ESFJ thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

MBTI: ESFJ-T
    Title: The Perfect Grammatacallion

Daeus
    @daeus
    • Total Posts: 3905

@emily I’m not really worried about 2nd person being too hard. My main question is whether it would be too weird for someone to read a mystery only to find out that they are the criminal. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong
    • Total Posts: 255

I’ve been doing it on Aetherlight. We have this thing called “Your Life Through The Eyes Of Others” or some such. You make a little story with a theme (it’s in 2nd person), like Dystopian or Public School Kid. Then you make a poll, and the votes dictate what will happen in the next installment. Mine is called Strider’s Adventures.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Aislinn Mollisong. Reason: I'm tired

Aislinn Mollisong: Hero!
    "BRING IT ON!!!"

DaughterOfTheKing
    @daughteroftheking
    • Total Posts: 724

@daeus Hmmm. I’m intrigued. ๐Ÿ˜€ But, I seriously have no idea how that would work. I’d encourage you to give it a shot, write a snippet from it, and see if it works. (If you haven’t dome that already.) As for the POV character being the criminal, it depends what the crime was. I think I’d be disturbed if I found out “I” murdered someone, or something like that.

But not without regard for the double negative!

DaughterOfTheKing
    @daughteroftheking
    • Total Posts: 724

Dome? Really? My internal spell checker and I need to have a talk. XD

But not without regard for the double negative!

Jessi Rae
    @jessi-rae
    • Total Posts: 184

@daeus That sounds really cool! It also sounds like something I’d write (only I’d do first or third person – probably first – just because that’s my writing preference)… ๐Ÿ™‚

Emily
    @emily
    • Total Posts: 1058

@daeus Ok. That would be kind of difficult for the reader to suddenly discover, but I think that it would also be really intriguing.

MBTI: ESFJ-T
    Title: The Perfect Grammatacallion

Dekreel
    @dekreel
    • Total Posts: 237

@daeus :-O :-O That sounds like the coolest thing ever! I wonder if it’s possible to make it one of those choose-your-own-adventure stories. That would be pretty cool.

Pronounced DEE-kreel. Music-maker, Daydreamer, Expert Whovian, ENFP.

Ben P.
    @supermonkey42
    • Total Posts: 35

Wow. I think that sounds really cool! I would definitely read it if you did it. Who knows, it could be the next popular style! XD

Avid reader, assistant robot builder, Star Wars megafan, INTJ, and computer geek.

katie
    @lifeofkatie
    • Total Posts: 130

@daeus it definitely sounds like an intriguing plot to accomplish!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  katie.

Elizabeth
    @that_writer_girl_99
    • Total Posts: 1555

@daeus You’re probably crazy, but knowing your capabilities, I’ve got full confidence that you can do it.

https://www.wonderingwriter.com

Josiah DeGraaf
    @aratrea
    • Total Posts: 630

I’ve never heard of a 2nd person narrative actually working. Everyone I’ve read on the subject say it’s only a gimmick and doesn’t end up doing well w/the exception of the narrow choose-your-own-adventure sub-genre. Since it’s only a short story, if you want to experiment, then by all means go for it! But I also wouldn’t personally recommend it. ๐Ÿ˜›

Writing fantasy stories w/superheroes. ยท josiahdegraaf.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.