2nd person mystery?

Home Page Forums Fiction Writing Critiques Short Story Critiques 2nd person mystery?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daeus
    @daeus
      • Total Posts: 4238

Hi KeePers,

What do you think about me writing a 2nd person short detective story?

The twist is that the POV character would be both the detective and *spoiler* the criminal.

I have no idea what the plot would be. 😛

Am I crazy or is this actually conceivable?

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Louise Fowler
      @perfectfifths
        • Total Posts: 726

@daeus It sounds really interesting. The only experience I have with second-person is Choose Your Own Adventure stories.

Currently reading Les Miserables

Aislinn Mollisong
        @aislinn-mollisong
          • Total Posts: 445

I would love this! I would even attempt it myself, except, you know, NaNoWriMo.

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
          https://forums.theaetherli

Anonymous
            • Total Posts: 1330

@daeus Yikes. Second person is really hard. I personally find it a little bit tricky to understand compared to the other persons. Unlike Aislinn, I definitely wouldn’t try it myself. But then again, I’m no risk taker in the area of writing. I don’t like the idea of starting something and never finishing it. XD It must be an ESFJ thing. 🙂

Daeus
            @daeus
              • Total Posts: 4238

@emily I’m not really worried about 2nd person being too hard. My main question is whether it would be too weird for someone to read a mystery only to find out that they are the criminal. 😉

🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Aislinn Mollisong
              @aislinn-mollisong
                • Total Posts: 445

I’ve been doing it on Aetherlight. We have this thing called “Your Life Through The Eyes Of Others” or some such. You make a little story with a theme (it’s in 2nd person), like Dystopian or Public School Kid. Then you make a poll, and the votes dictate what will happen in the next installment. Mine is called Strider’s Adventures.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Aislinn Mollisong. Reason: I'm tired

ENTP, Aether-borg Hero with cape obsession and fascination with swords.
                https://forums.theaetherli

NC Stokes
                @daughteroftheking
                  • Total Posts: 1156

@daeus Hmmm. I’m intrigued. 😀 But, I seriously have no idea how that would work. I’d encourage you to give it a shot, write a snippet from it, and see if it works. (If you haven’t dome that already.) As for the POV character being the criminal, it depends what the crime was. I think I’d be disturbed if I found out “I” murdered someone, or something like that.

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

NC Stokes
                  @daughteroftheking
                    • Total Posts: 1156

Dome? Really? My internal spell checker and I need to have a talk. XD

Blog: https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Jessi Rae
                    @jessi-rae
                      • Total Posts: 250

@daeus That sounds really cool! It also sounds like something I’d write (only I’d do first or third person – probably first – just because that’s my writing preference)… 🙂

Anonymous
                        • Total Posts: 1330

@daeus Ok. That would be kind of difficult for the reader to suddenly discover, but I think that it would also be really intriguing.

Joy
                        @dekreel
                          • Total Posts: 2304

@daeus :-O :-O That sounds like the coolest thing ever! I wonder if it’s possible to make it one of those choose-your-own-adventure stories. That would be pretty cool.

You can pronounce it however you want.

Ben Powell
                          @supermonkey42
                            • Total Posts: 273

Wow. I think that sounds really cool! I would definitely read it if you did it. Who knows, it could be the next popular style! XD

A Kapeefer for life!
                            Compendium of KP Literature: kapeeferliterature.wordpress.com

katie
                            @lifeofkatie
                              • Total Posts: 137

@daeus it definitely sounds like an intriguing plot to accomplish!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by katie.
                              Elizabeth
                              @that_writer_girl_99
                                • Total Posts: 1819

@daeus You’re probably crazy, but knowing your capabilities, I’ve got full confidence that you can do it.

Writer. Dreamer. Sometimes blogger. MBTI mess. Lover of Jesus and books.

Josiah DeGraaf
                                @aratrea
                                  • Total Posts: 717

I’ve never heard of a 2nd person narrative actually working. Everyone I’ve read on the subject say it’s only a gimmick and doesn’t end up doing well w/the exception of the narrow choose-your-own-adventure sub-genre. Since it’s only a short story, if you want to experiment, then by all means go for it! But I also wouldn’t personally recommend it. 😛

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus. Guiding authors at Story Embers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                >